If you are a parent of a child on the autism spectrum (ASD), you have probably tried just about every treatment under the sun. And, unless your child has enjoyed miraculous improvement, you are undoubtedly still looking for answers. If you are a practitioner, educator, or other professional working with children or adults with ASD, you well aware of the need for effective treatment and are interested in any approach that offers hope and results. Even if you know nothing about homeopathic medicine, or are only aware of its success with first-aid or acute conditions, we ask that you open your mind and read this article. We have seen enough clinical improvement in these children to want to share it with others.
Our first patient on the spectrum came under our care nearly fourteen years ago. Informally diagnosed at that time with autism, we understand now that he more aptly matched the criteria of Asperger Syndrome (AS). Since that time much has changed in our practice. The popularity of our book, Ritalin-Free Kids brought to our care over four thousand children with behavioral and learning problems. First ADHD, then ODD (oppositional-defiant disorder), and OCD (obsessive-compulsive disorder). Then, as with other medical professionals working with children came an extraordinarily high number of children with developmental problems—more and more of them diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome and other conditions on the autism spectrum.
While treating children with behavioral and learning problems, we have been impressed with the determination of many parents to find natural approaches to help their children. I notice that parents of children on the autism spectrum often bring this perseverance to an even higher, unfaltering level. They are pioneers, willing to put their children’s needs far above their own. My husband, Robert, and I have had the opportunity to treat many children on the autism spectrum, and have seen a number of them benefit significantly from homeopathy. It is time for us to share our optimism, and we have done so in our new book: A-Drug Free Approach to Asperger Syndrome and Autism: Homeopathic Care for Exceptional Kids, co-authored with our colleague, Ian Luepker, ND.
Why Homeopathy for Children on the Autism Spectrum?
There are many alternative modalities and protocols for the treatment of this population, which has grown at an epidemic rate. (Estimates are that one in every 166 children is now autistic.) However, there are some specific reasons why homeopathy is a compelling treatment to consider among those options. In addition to its clinical effectiveness, homeopathy has these strengths:
- The more unusual the child, the easier it is to find a homeopathic medicine that matches his symptoms. We treat children, not “labels” or diagnoses, and the more factors that make a particular child stand out from other children, the more likely a homeopath can successfully select a single homeopathic treatment.
- Homeopathic medicines pass the “taste test” and can often be given in a single dose just every few months. This is a distinct advantage when dealing with children who are very finicky about what they put in their mouths — a common characteristic of these children.
- There is no gentler medicine than homeopathy, so it is particularly well-suited for highly sensitive individuals, like those with ASD.
- Children on the spectrum experience a number of physical, developmental, behavioral, emotional, and cognitive symptoms. The correct homeopathic medicine addresses the whole child.
- Homeopathy can be extremely effective for defiant and aggressive behaviors, often making it unnecessary to use strong conventional medications, some of which have been shown to dampen a child’s spirit, cause significant weight gain, and increase the predisposition to diabetes.
- Homeopathy is far less costly than a number of other alternative treatments for ASD. Furthermore, visits are less frequent and are non-invasive.
An Approach that Merits Strong Consideration by Parents
It has been rewarding, in many cases, to see the transformation in these children with homeopathic treatment. Other approaches can be used at the same time, but it is generally possible to carefully evaluate which symptoms improve due to the homeopathy. Given that conventional medicine has limited options for these children, we hope that more parents will look to homeopathy as a worthwhile addition to their children’s therapeutic programs.
A Drug-Free Approach to Asperger Syndrome and Autism includes seventeen cases drawn from the authors’ clinical experience. Also included is information on the characteristics of children with Asperger Syndrome and autism, other natural approaches, advice and resources for parents, as well as answers to frequently asked questions about autism and homeopathic medicine.