Lawrence A. Plumlee, MD Book Review: Gut and Psychology Syndrome Focusing on natural treatment of dyspraxia, autism, ADD, dyslexia, ADHD, depression, and schizophrenia, Gut and Psychology Syndrome, by Natasha Campbell-McBride, MD, is written from the perspective of a […]
Most of us have experienced periods of “the blues” or times of temporary grieving. A depressive illness is more serious. A feeling of hopelessness and helplessness pervades and can last for days or weeks. Depression interferes with normal life functioning. The disorder changes a person’s mental and emotional outlook, and can result in sleep difficulties, increased physical symptoms, and disruption of eating patterns.
There are several types of depression. Treatments have evolved over the last 40 years, first focusing on psychoanalysis or counseling therapy, followed by drug treatment to address brain chemical abnormalities. Standard treatments with antidepressants come under scrutiny, particularly for teens and children. This has placed a new emphasis on natural therapies.
The good news is that nutritional supplements and other complementary or alternative therapies can be used to help balance brain functioning. New studies are being conducted every year that help define these therapies.
Related articles are shown below. If you don’t find what you’re looking for, you can search using the box at the upper right of the page or browse our forums.
While analyzing data from Saskatchewan health databases, Lauren Brown, researcher with the U of A’s School of Public Health, found people with a history of depression had a 30 percent increased risk of type 2 […]
Research from Harvard Medical School should rock the world of psychiatrists and neurologists who treat bipolar disorder. It’s estimated that 5.7 million adults in the US have this condition. Further, 50% to 70% take antidepressants, […]
James Greenblatt, MD Interview by Sheila Rogers, MS, Director ACN Would you briefly describe your practice and clientele? I’m board certified in child and adult psychiatry, and have seen over 10,000 children with the conditions […]
- Intriguing Remission of Tourette’s After Heat-Induced Dehydration
- Remembering Dr. William Rea
- Your World and You: Tips to Improve Your Family’s Health – Issue 48 (Premium)
- Should You Homeschool Your Child with Sensory Processing Disorder?
- Lymphatic Drainage Technique for Sinus Colds and Earaches (Premium)
- Success! Naturopathic Treatment for Severe OCD, Anxiety, ADHD and Tourette’s (Premium) on
- Finding our Way Out of a Nightmare: Tourettes, ADHD and OCD on
- How We Reversed Jessica’s Tic Disorder on
- Success: A Severe Tic Disorder Treated through Environmental Medicine on
- Can the Answer We Found for our Son’s Tics Help You? on