As kids head back to school there’s lots for families to be concerned about:
- Will the teachers be a good match for my child?
- Does the school offer special accommodations if needed?
- Is homework going to be a major headache?
- Will my child fit in socially— and make academic progress?
- How can I be sure my child stays motivated?
- Oh no! School lunch time again. What should I do?
It doesn’t take long for additional worries to be added to the list. But one area that is often overlooked as we tally up back-to-school concerns is:
Will the school building and environment be toxic?
Check out this detailed infographic What Lurks in Your Child’s Classroom from Healthy Child (developed by the Environmental Working Group). It covers potential issues that you can do something about to make your child’s school safer. (And there are some you won’t be able to change.)
We aren’t sharing it to keep you awake at night. But it helps to be proactive and learn what areas you can request adjustments in. You can use the infographic for points of discussion with school staff.
And, if you find your school is already doing a great job of creating a healthy educational environment, give them credit with a shout-out at your next school meeting!
What Lurks in Your Child’s Classroom – An infographic from Healthy Child Healthy World