Carolyn Dean, MD, ND
I received some good input from my blog readers about black mold after I published my article on inhaled allergies.
Toxic black mold is called Stachybotrys chartarum. It reproduces by spreading airborne spores. These spores are allergenic and also toxic since they carry mycotoxins – and you inhale them. If you already have yeast overgrowth, your mucus membranes are “leaky” and the spores pass through into your blood stream, causing allergic reactions.
Henry Lahore of VitaminDWiki told me: “I had a problem with black mold allergies for around 5 years. I tried all sorts of ways of killing the mold and improving my health and nothing helped. Then I bought a $70.00 ozone generator on Amazon. I used it several times for about 5 minutes each time. I immediately felt much better; my asthma went away and I also lost 20 lbs in 4 months.
I asked Henry for more details. He said “I scrubbed out the mold as much as I could with chemicals. I removed the moldy carpet but the room still smelled moldy and didn’t go away until the ozone treatment.”
Henry told me how he applied the ozone. “I turned on the ozone generator in the room and closed the door; I put the timer on for 5 minutes. I did this several times. I did it a few more times, even after the room no longer smelled moldy. Now I just use it to get the mold smell out of old used books that I buy.
Ozone warming: If you use an ozone machine do not go into the room for 20 minutes after the generator turns off. Inhaled ozone can damage the lungs. According to the EPA, relatively low amounts can cause chest pain, coughing, shortness of breath, and throat irritation. Ozone may also worsen chronic respiratory diseases such as asthma, and compromise the ability of the body to fight respiratory infections.
So, instead of helping the lungs by just getting rid of mold, if you are inhaling ozone directly, you can do more damage.
Henry and I agreed that not everyone with mold needs to own an ozone generator. A single generator can be shared between 5 or more families. One house only needs it for about 1 hour a few times per week, doing a few minutes treatment in each of the moldy rooms.
Dr. Ritchie Shoemaker’s mold advice
Another blog reader told me that Dr. Ritchie Shoemaker, an expert in mold and biotoxins, has identified a large segment of the population (25%) that has an immune response gene (or variant) that cannot handle the novel toxins mold produces in water damaged buildings when toxic fungicides are involved.
This reader recommended that people should get checked out for Chronic Inflammatory Response Syndrome (CIRS–also known as “mold illness”) and should follow Dr. Shoemaker’s advice. She admitted that the testing and treatment are very expensive and she couldn’t afford them. Shoemaker’s protocol also involves using allopathic drugs to which people may be sensitive.
Take these steps first!
I suggest readers with black mold problems follow Shoemaker’s link and read his 14-page protocol, but first:
- Do the basic allergy treatment that includes anti-yeast treatment;
- Take Pico Silver to boost the immune system against fungi, bacteria, actinomycetes, and mycobacteria;
- Remove moldy carpets;
- Clean with non-toxic vinegar – but even so, wear a good air filtering mask:
- Use an ozone generator;
- Take the Completement Formulas, which provide the proper building blocks for healing;
- Unfortunately some may have to invest in professional mold remediation and remove walls and ceilings, or even move to escape mold overgrowth.
I’m aware that Dr. Shoemaker is using genetic testing, but as I’ve said many times, your genes turn on and off depending on the availability of nutrients like magnesium and methylated B vitamins – so those nutrients are very important. Also, Chronic Inflammatory Response Syndrome can occur after exposure to water damaged buildings and visible growth of mold and/or musty smells. So, try your best to avoid living in homes that have suffered water damage and are exhibiting mold.
Dr. Shoemaker is also a pioneer in the treatment of MARCoNS (multiple antibiotic resistant coagulase negative staphylococcus). Treating this condition is part of his Chronic Inflammatory Response Syndrome protocol.
Learn about the importance of magnesium, and much more, by subscribing to my health tips by email. You can subscribe here: https://drcarolyndean.com/subscribe