ACN Latitudes Forums

Does it ever end or stop?

Hello, I just want to know from parents who start diet/supplements and other therapies if they were successful? Sometimes I feel that traditional medicine is right and it's just wax and wane symptoms and there is not much to do....I am just so tired to watch and hope that it will go away or get better...

Hi Tayna2001, welcome to the forums and I'm sorry you didn't get a quick response. What happens often is that once someone is better, they quit posting because they have found their answers. Wish that didn't happen because others need support, but sometimes it's just the way things go.

In any event, yes things can end or stop but no one can make any promises about that. There are lots of factors involved. If someone find that traditional medicine works for them, that's great. But if it is really working, then they shouldn't have to be concerned about waxing and waning, if you know what I mean.

The key thing for some people is to find out what is the underlying problem. Do you want to tell us more about yourself? Like what you are dealing with and what your observations have been about the condition you have?

Would love to hear more. Don't despair, there are many things that can help reduce symptoms of tics and/or Tourette's in addition to conventional approaches.

My 6 yo have tics for over a year. It was very mild and recently got much worse after varicella vaccine ( started to have vocal). We started candida diet and it got very bad first week. Then I started to see improvments and was thinking we are on right track. But it getting worse again so I am loosing my hope...we went to two different doctors and one ordered comprehensive stool and another one blood work. We are waiting for results but I am just loosing hope...I wanted to ask if other people see ups and downs while on the diet or it was sustained improvment.

Thank you

Hi to you both.....I just wanted to say that yes, for us at least it has got better. My son is now 14. He started with eye blinking at about the age 5 and moved on from there. His were always 'simple' tics and largely vocal - squeaks, throat clearing etc. He did also go through some shoulder jerking, as well but otherwise his physical tics were largely blinking, nose 'scrunging', lip licking etc....I will be honest and say I tried most things - diet, hypnosis, allergy treatments etc. Spent hundreds of dollars on being purely organic, supplements and so on.....Regardless they were just there. Constant rather than waxing and waning but largely never completely obvious. In the end we spent yet more money we didn't have on CBIT therapy and it made a pretty big difference. I think it was the first time he felt he had any control over himself....

Jumping forward a bit, in the last couple of years they have calmed down a lot - in particular in the last 6-9 months. During that time he has got braces. I was convinced this would make things worse but they didn't seem to make a difference. I am hoping he is just starting to grow out of them a bit! If I see facial tics I give him magnesium and we avoid strawberries as they always seem to trigger them. Thank goodness he is funny, happy and popular. I really think that in the midst of all the chaos and worry, it is so important to keep them confident and try and keep self esteem going. I am still tense if I see or hear anything but I have learned that he will tell me if things are bothering him....

This is just our story and yours may be different. I just remember my state -5 or 6 yrs ago when I would search this site for some hope! I just wanted to share that there may well be. I hope this helps a bit ...Hang on in there!xxx

Just a word of encouragement...yes! perseverance pays and yes! it can get better.

When my son was first diagnosed aged 10 things were very intense with his tics & OCD

Now past his mid 2os, he is an independent young man doing so well!

Yes, he still has genetic inherited TS, but to this day, as longs as he does what he can to avoid triggers, and maintain a healthy diet and environment, it is a negligible factor in his life!

Thank you for response...I hope I will get used to live with this... and hope it gets better.

Life seems so different to me...I am avoiding children birthday parties, shows , vacations with friends...not sure how to manage this....In my mind I know some people have more problems than this and things can be worse than this but my heart is still in pain.

All those treatments are overwhelming and it takes so long to try something new every time and wait for the results... Thank you for support!

I know it is hard, but do try not to stop your child from still enjoying the normal things! The last thing you would want is a feeling of being "punished" because of tics, and that can happen when one avoids outings, parties etc! One can still participate and have fun, while being careful!

• 2 weeks later...