ACN Latitudes Forums

What cold medications are safe and don't cause tics?

Mike

I was told that cold medications with pseudoephedrine should be avoided since they can increase tics. Anyone know what is safe to take for colds? My child is sniffing alot and it's hard to tell if it's a vocal tic when they really sound stuffed up.

Mike,

Children with tics should avoid any form of stimulants.

I use Vit C and Zinc for cold, and drink plenty of water to thin out the mucus. I also use Vicks or White Flower Oil at night if congestion is bad, on both chest & back.

I also eliminate dairy and very little meat, and plenty of fruit & vegetable, and vegetable broth with rice pasta, basically eating lite. When your body is fighting an infection, you don't want your body to use most of its energy in food digestion.

Patty

Mike,

I have been told by a Mom here, that is following Dr. Yasko's protocol for strep/PANDAs that this is a great product. She said that the way this clears nasal congestion, has been wonderful. I use one for my youngest son, that is similar, but it contains Grapefruit seed extract with is an antibacteria/fungal, and I don't think you would want to use it long term unless there was some kind of sinus infection present. Mine is made by NOW and contains xylitol too, which is supposed to make the nasal passage somewhat slippery, and keep bacteria from invading (per ped. allergist). If you just have stuffiness, or congestion from allergy, this would probably be a better product.

http://www.xlear.com/xlear/

Mike,

I have been told by a Mom here, that is following Dr. Yasko's protocol for strep/PANDAs that this is a great product. She said that the way this clears nasal congestion, has been wonderful. I use one for my youngest son, that is similar, but it contains Grapefruit seed extract with is an antibacteria/fungal, and I don't think you would want to use it long term unless there was some kind of sinus infection present. Mine is made by NOW and contains xylitol too, which is supposed to make the nasal passage somewhat slippery, and keep bacteria from invading (per ped. allergist). If you just have stuffiness, or congestion from allergy, this would probably be a better product.

http://www.xlear.com/xlear/

[/quote

Hi KIm

What specific NOW product did you use?

Thanks.

Hi Ari,

The name of the NOW brand is activated NASAL.

My son had a small spot of what I thought was probably impetigo under one nostril, and was complaining that his nose felt funny inside. I thought this product might help to clear the staph or strep if that's what it was, since it does contain GSE (grapefruit seed extract).

I will be ordering the Xlear for more frequent use, for allergy irritation.

Just wanted to clarify that. I thought my last post was kind of confusing.