ACN Latitudes Forums

Childhood Abdominal Pains & Later Anxiety Disorders

From today's Journal Watch newsletter

Children with medically unexplained "functional abdominal pain" face increased risks for anxiety and depression in adolescence and young adulthood, according to a Pediatrics study.

to read more about this study please go to
http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/early/2013/08/07/peds.2012-2191.abstract

• 1 month later...

Interesting... my OCD/PANDAS/anorexia/exercise compulsive/extremely anxious child had terrible colic as an infant and complained about tummy aches until 5 or 6. She NEVER complains about stomach issues now, but in my search for help I requested to have a stool sample done, and low and behold, her gut is in bad shape! She has no good gut bacteria, although I give her 3 probiotics a day, away from her abx. She also has Citrobacter amalonaticus and Citrobacter diversus in the "Potential Pathogen" range, although I have no idea yet what that even means...

Her pancreas doesn't appear to be well at all, which I think means she's not absorbing nutrients. She's homozygous for VDR Fok, which could explain the pancreas, and probably means we have a vit D deficit. (No one has tested that yet.)

Anyone else out there have kids with bad guts and extreme anxiety - with any great ideas?! Any chance if I can turn her gut situation around that her anxiety will even out? (Looking for some HOPE here!)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I think the link between abdominal pain as a child and anxiety has more to do with the feeling of powerlessness than anything else. Having been a child that had severe abdominal pain (later my doctors said this was I.B.S.) I felt very powerless. My pain took much of the joy out of living. I hadn't pinned down what the cause was so I never knew what was going to make it go crazy. The pain was horrible. I'm 50 years old now. I've had broken bones, abdominal surgeries, and a absolute plethora of other things that caused me pain, not the least of which was childbirth, and I can say that those long ago "attacks" were as bad a pain as I have ever experienced. The pain was bad enough that on several occasions I passed out. I felt a lot of anxiety!

I would also like to mention that for me there are two foods that will make me very sick, to this day, those being eggs and avocado. I can usually tolerate eggs in something else but avocado will kill me every time.

• 9 months later...

I was like this as a child. I was an anxious little kid and complained about my stomach hurting often. My dad would tell me it was in my head because i never actually would throw up. I was always a petite kid... many thought i had an eating disorder but i did not. Come to find out a year ago (at 26)i was dx with EoE. I started having more stomach issues after my third child, weird throat sensations and food slowing down in my throat. My labs were all out of wack and my gut was a mess. I started seeing a nutrionist and am happy to report I am doing so much better! control my eoe with diet. EoE is actually extremely common these days, it is still a fairly new dx though so many docs dont know what it is. EoE is basically an autoimmune allergy reaction in the throat. My known triggers are soy, rice, almonds and sulfites. Soy and rice showed up on an allergy patch test. good luck with everything and prayers to your daughter