ACN Latitudes Forums

Long term Flagyl?

ering

My 4y/o daughter has been diagnosed with Autism and epilepsy...both after a 2 week hospital admission for RSV/pneumonia in which she was on IV antibiotics. We brought her home from the hospital a different child from when she went in 2 weeks prior. She started having seizures the day she was discharged. I have spent the past 2 years trying to "heal" my daughter because I feel as though antibiotics have completely ruined her gut....and have spent countless hours trying to convinced doctors likewise! We have had alot of success seeing a naturopath and going the biomedical route. We are on a completely gluten/dairy/sugar/corn/yeast/soy free diet...and it has totally changed her, but I can't seem to get the seizures under control. She'll seize, aspirate, get pneumona....and poof shes on antibiotics again. I have finally convinced her pediatrician to put her on flagyl and nystatin. Anybody else have any success?? She was on flagyl for aspiration pneumonia a few weeks ago for the first time and she never had one seizure while on it. Within 18 hours of her last dose she started seizing again and was hospitalized twice in 4 days because of them. I'm thinking he flagyl had some effect on her gut for the good....but can't be positive. Would love to hear any stories of success, or any suggestions. The flagyl is ordered twice daily....should it be taken at the same time as the nystatin??

Hello

my son was given flagyl at one time for Chron's related issues and it had a very detrimental effect on him. He was on it for 2 months.

Flagyl is an prescription antibiotic (Metronidazole) and as such it does also kill good bacteria and can result in Candida overgrowth

I am not a personal fan of nystatin either as there really are more natural ways to combat Candida without adding yet another rx drug like nystatin, which does also have its own potential adverse side effects.

As your daughter's case is complex, I realize that you do need to treat the infections, but wonder if you have tried to use any of the many natural antimicrobial remedies?

• 2 months later...