ACN Latitudes Forums

Picked up some magnesium taurate at Vitamin Shoppe

guy123

I wanted some magnesium and since I always see this kind recommended here I figured I'd give the taurate a try.

Cardiovascular Research brand

Service size: 1 capsule

Magnesium (taurate) - 125mg 30% RDA

They had at least a dozen different types of magnesium, but this was the only taurate they had.

What dose do you guys use?

I actually got it because I'm dealing with tendonitis right now and I've seen magnesium recommended as part of the treatment.

Yesterday I took one pill at 12:15pm, 3:30pm, 8:30pm, and then 1:30am right before I went to bed.

I ended up sleeping in until 11am today, so that's about 9 and a half hours of sleep. I'm wondering if taking it before bed caused that. It's 11:25am now and I'm still sleepy but forced myself to get up.

Yesterday was the first day I've taken 4 pills (500mg - 120% RDA). I have no idea how much taurine was in that, though.

Edited by guy123

Guy

magnesium does promote relaxation but it is not an actual sleep inducer per se

But perhaps as you are new to taking it, and combined with the taurine, it may be having a maximal relaxant effect?

The dose for magnesium should be around 300-500mg a day and for taurine 500mg a day from what we were told. We have never used the combo

I'm gonna email the company and find out how much taurine is in each capsule.

I hope if I stop taking it I don't have rebound anxiety.

So far my stomach is tolerating it well. No change in digesting or bowel habits. This was a bit of a concern of mine knowing that magnesium is used as a laxative.

edit - no I'm not. I can't seem to find their website. The bottle only lists a city and state. No phone number, no website, no mailing address. That's kinda shady right?

Edited by guy123

They are a highly regarded company....Ecological Formulas makes the Cardiovascular Research range of products

In Concord California phone 925-827-2636

established in 1981

we use their MonoLaurin natural antimicrobial (lauric acid from coconuts)

We were just recommended magnesium glycinate 250mg by a DAN for tics and for calming. We were recommended:

http://kirkmanlabs.com/ProductKirkman/128/1/Buffered%20Magnesium%20Glycinate%c2%ae%20-%20Bio-Max%20Series%20-%20Hypoallergenic/

I may give that form a try next.

Let us know what effects you get from it and if there are any side effects.

Also, the label on that site is confusing. It looks like the same ingredient is listed twice in different dosages:

201141511365156.jpg

edit - Apparently I can't post images here?

Click this:

http://kirkmanlabs.com/Uploaded_Image/SupplementFacts/201141511365156.jpg

Edited by guy123

• 3 weeks later...

I went back to Vitamin Shoppe to get more today, but just to change things up a bit, I got some Magnesium Malate this time, and also another bottle of magnesium taurate.

The Magnesium Malate is Nature's Life brand and the Supplement Facts box says:

Serving Size: 1 Tablet

Magnesium (from 1,300mg Magnesium Malate) - 200 mg - 50% RDA

Malic Acid - 960mg

I got the malate form because I read that malate chelates aluminum and so it helps you detox aluminum. Also, it is supposedly not very laxative (unlike other forms), and it was affordable.

That sounds to me like there is 200mg of elemental magnesium (assuming 15% bioavailability... 15% of 1,300mg is roughly 200mg) per pill. I'm not sure how much elemental magnesium is in the Cardiovascular Research brand of mag taurate per 125mg pill.

Magnesium orotate is supposedly one of the best and it was like $63 for a bottle. Although, I've heard magnesium orotate and promote certain types of cancers, but more research is required.

I started with 1/2 of one of these pills to assess tolerance.

edit - I just read here that magnesium taurate is 8.9% elemental magnesium by weight.

So that means 1 pill of the Cardiovasular Research Ltd brand Magnesium Taurate (125mg) is 11mg of elemental magnesium. Hmm. Unless it means it's 125mg of mag and the pill is 1.4g total. I don't have a scale that sensitive.

Edited by guy123

I've been having heart palpitations (I think? A weird flutter feeling in my chest every so often) since I started the new magnesium supplement. I'm going to lay off for a few days and see if it goes away.

This is odd, because magnesium is used to treat heart palpitations.

Could be something else. Could be random coincidence. I'm going to stop for a few days and see if it goes away. If it does, I will reintroduce the new magnesium and see if it comes back.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been having heart palpitations (I think? A weird flutter feeling in my chest every so often) since I started the new magnesium supplement. I'm going to lay off for a few days and see if it goes away.

This is odd, because magnesium is used to treat heart palpitations.

Could be something else. Could be random coincidence. I'm going to stop for a few days and see if it goes away. If it does, I will reintroduce the new magnesium and see if it comes back.

So weird. I stopped the Mag Malate and the heart palpitations stopped.

Started taking it again and they started up again.

It's just a brief "fluttering" feeling in my chest that lasts for a few seconds that I feel once or twice a day, but still, that's weird, and probably not a good thing.

if you feel any reaction like that you really should stop taking it till you have spoken with your doctor about it!

You may not need extra magnesium and it may be throwing off the balance of things eg the calcium

we were always told to supplement 2 parts calcium to every 1 part added magnesium

do talk to your doctor about that fluttering!

if you feel any reaction like that you really should stop taking it till you have spoken with your doctor about it!

You may not need extra magnesium and it may be throwing off the balance of things eg the calcium

we were always told to supplement 2 parts calcium to every 1 part added magnesium

do talk to your doctor about that fluttering!

The magnesium taurate never gave me any weird effects. The only reason I got another kind was because the taurine was making me relaxed and while it worked well at night, I wanted to try something different during the day. I may try another brand of magnesium malate, or I may try another kind. I have a list of types of magnesium with comments I've seen about them on various forums. I'll post it in the reply after this one.

I drink a lot of milk, do I get enough calcium with that?

What kind of calcium is best? Are there different types like with magnesium?

2 parts calcium to 1 part magnesium, cool.

Edited by guy123

Magnesium notes:

Magnesium malate

"the only cost effective form where the other ingredient is actually doing some good and not potentially causing harm (magnesium taurinate also looks interesting as you get the taurine which I also take as a bonus)."

Magnesium aspartate

"potentially neurotoxic"

Magnesium citrate

"laxative"

"appears to augment gastrointestinal aluminum absorption markedly..."

Magnesium oxide

"laxative, poor absorption"

Magnesium glycinate

"Glycine has some odd effects in large doses" (not sure what these "odd effects" are, but this guy was taking another supplement called "TMG plus glycine" and I guess didn't want to get too much)

Magnesium orate (likely a typo of "orotate")

"Probably good just extremely expensive" (KAL brand is like $10, other brands are like $60 per bottle)

May cause cancer?

Magnesium taurate

"both magnesium and taurine have sedative effects, and are neuroprotective."

Some other people say "don't bother with magnesium glycinate unless it's an Albion" which includes Carlson, Bluebonnet, Douglas Labs, Solgar.

Exchanged the magnesium malate for KAL brand magnesium glycinate.

Ingredients:

Serving Size: 2 tablets

Calories: 10

Total Carbohydrate: 1g

Magnesium (as Magnesium Glycinate): 400mg (100%)

So they're 200mg each.

I don't like this labeling and I don't know if that means 400mg of elemental magnesium or 400 mg of magnesium glycinate.

Edited by guy123