• Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Google Plus
  • Youtube
  • youtube

Existing forum users need to log into the forums and website with their email address and password. Become a premium member to access enhanced forum features and visit our online store to view our products.
Special Offer: Free 1 Month Trial of our Premium Membership!

The ACN Latitudes Premium Membership provides access to over 80 premium health articles on neurological conditions along with an exclusive premium newsletter. In addition, you will have several enhanced forum features, which include helpful perks such as: no advertisements, live chat room, forum blogging, increased messaging storage, and much more! Your Premium Membership also helps to support the efforts of our non-profit organization. Start Your Free Trial!

ACN Latitudes Premium Membership

ACN Latitudes Premium Membership
Photo
- - - - -

Bentonite Clay vs Activated Charcoal

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 justinekno

justinekno

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 02:56 PM

I see alot of talk about Bentonite Clay on this board and the Lyme board but not so much about Activated Charcoal? Is there a difference? One better than the other for detox?
Justine

#2 lynn2

lynn2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 04:17 PM

I don't know the answer Justine but I'm interested in the question! All I can say is that DS, usually quite cooperative with supplements, flatly refuses the clay, stating that it "tastes like spit" So for us the AC is the only game int town.

#3 sf_mom

sf_mom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,163 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 05:17 PM

Our nutritionist prefers Bentonite Clay. BUT, if your child will not drink it... she recommends activated Charcoal. If your child refuses to take the pills or can't take pills and won't drink the Bentonite Clay, she recommends chewable children's pepto bismol.

We mix the clay in favored Kefir with a little Juice. Basically, a third BC, a third Kefir, a third Juice and powdered probiotic for our three year old twins.

#4 justinekno

justinekno

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 06:41 PM

Am I correct that neither one can be taken at the same time as supplements, probiotic or antibiotic? There's just not enough hours in the day!!

Our nutritionist prefers Bentonite Clay. BUT, if your child will not drink it... she recommends activated Charcoal. If your child refuses to take the pills or can't take pills and won't drink the Bentonite Clay, she recommends chewable children's pepto bismol.

We mix the clay in favored Kefir with a little Juice. Basically, a third BC, a third Kefir, a third Juice and powdered probiotic for our three year old twins.

Justine

#5 Stephanie2

Stephanie2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 06:45 PM

I use activated charcoal and it does miracles in our house when we are fighting clostridia and/or yeast. I actually used it all day today...

Yes, has to be given 1.5-2 hours away from all supps/meds or it will absorb them and carry them out of the body.
Stephanie
Holistic Healthcare Consultant, specializing in pediatric illness

Currently training to become a Homeopath.

Two boys with formerly severe PANDAS/ASD. Both fully recovered with homeopathic remedies and a handful of supplements.

#6 keeptrying

keeptrying

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 07:07 PM

I use activated charcoal and it does miracles in our house when we are fighting clostridia and/or yeast. I actually used it all day today...

Yes, has to be given 1.5-2 hours away from all supps/meds or it will absorb them and carry them out of the body.

We too are using activated charcoal. My doc said I could give 2 tabs at a time but to make sure they were 2 hours from abx or probiotics. It has not caused any constipation or upset for my dd. give it a try!

#7 MomWithOCDSon

MomWithOCDSon

Advanced Member

• Premium
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts
  • Interests:All things PANDAS, OCD, travel, pets, education

Posted 10 September 2010 - 07:37 PM

The instructions for the bentonite clay suggest that it be given on an empty stomach. So we're giving it about 20-30 minutes before breakfast.

Some probiotics are okay to give with abx because the abx can't kill the organisms. Acidolpholus (common in yogurt and kefir, as well as the popular "Pearls" probiotic supplement) is a culture killed by most abx.

Sach boulardis, lactobillus, bifobacterium, etc., meanwhile, generally survive abx. That's why we mix it up as much as we do, figuring that some organisms will fare well while others may come to a premature end before re-establishing in the gut.

Nancy
Mom of PANDAS DS16, Awesome - The Healing Continues!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users