• Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Google Plus
  • Youtube
  • youtube

Existing forum users need to log into the forums and website with their email address and password. Become a premium member to access enhanced forum features and visit our online store to view our products.
New eBook: Your Child Has Changed; Should You Consider PANDAS?

Have you seen the ACN Latitudes PANDAS eBookOur helpful book is a 37-page primer in a friendly question & answer format.  This eBook contains useful information to understand the symptoms of PANDAS, how it is diagnosed (including lab tests), the different types of treatments, approaches for prevention, and how to find the help and support that you need. Learn more

Dr William Walsh Autism OCD PANDAS Depression and Methylation Article

ACN Latitudes Premium Membership

Photo
- - - - -

MRI showing Gliosis Deposit left temporal lobe

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 joan pandas mom

joan pandas mom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 09:10 PM

Has anyone had a Gliosis deposit show up on an MRI? My son did. It wasn't on the MRI 6 years ago when all this started. I was told this is scaring and his is a few months old. He had a concussion a few months ago.

#2 sf_mom

sf_mom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,201 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 10:32 PM

Dr. K has mention deposit in the BG to me and that IVIG would resolve those deposits. Perhaps its similar.

#3 peglem

peglem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,733 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 10:33 PM

I haven't. My daughter has had 2 MRIs, both normal. Did they say what the implications are here? This is normal after a concussion? Any short or long term symptoms involved with this? Sorry to be so curious.

-Peggy, mom to 19yo PANDAS daughter w/ onset probably in infancy. Manifests w/ severe autism symptoms and currently nonverbal.

#4 joan pandas mom

joan pandas mom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 07:41 AM

I haven't talked directly to the neuro yet. I'll let you know after I talk to him. I am going to be switching to Dr. Latimer soon. I only went to this neuro here to get an MRI quickly. I didn't want to wait months to get in elsewhere. He doesn't believe in PANDAS so I definately WON'T be using him. I think the deposit is probably from his concussion, but I will let you know. I have been busy with my son's T&A this AM. Don't apologize. I am curious too. I want to learn all I can about this.

I haven't. My daughter has had 2 MRIs, both normal. Did they say what the implications are here? This is normal after a concussion? Any short or long term symptoms involved with this? Sorry to be so curious.

#5 Fixit

Fixit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 10:02 AM

Ok having a boy gives me all kinds of avenues or combinations to persue...
About 3-4 weeks before this onset he was GREAT! No issues for 4 months
he's playing football and runs into a light post.
black eye, bent braces and tooth moves a smidge and a golf ball knot right on his hairline, bruised face

took him to orthodonatist and pediatrician and they said he was ok

could a head/face injury trigger something almost a month later

#6 worried_dad

worried_dad

Advanced Member

• Premium
  • PipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 11:48 AM

There was an OCD program on TV not long ago (can't remember which network) that featured the case of a high school football player who developed severe OCD after a series of concussions. I would think that a serious blow to the head might contribute.

Does anybody else remember the details about the OCD show? I believe it was mentioned in a topic here.

black eye, bent braces and tooth moves a smidge and a golf ball knot right on his hairline, bruised face

#7 dut

dut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 11:59 AM

Hello

I read a study (will try to find it later and post it) that showed, using rats, that a trauma to the head can lead to failure in the integrity of the blood brain barrier. I only read the abstract so not sure how severe the trauma would have to be but if stuff were already circulating in the blood stream (autoantibodies etc) it could potentially allow it access to the brain.

I didn't really want to think about it too much. My kids are always baging something, our son all the time it seems.....
DD9 dx'd 2008 1 month after 1st recognised symptom - PITANDS
DS5 dx'd 2009 1 year after first symptoms also PITANDS

#8 eamom

eamom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,303 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 11:59 AM

Dr. Daniel Amen (he's the spec scan guy...he's written a bunch of books, has been on PBS etc) has some interesting info. on head injuries:
http://www.amenclini...f-brain-trauma/

#9 joan pandas mom

joan pandas mom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 08:14 PM

I'm wondering the same thing.

#10 joan pandas mom

joan pandas mom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 08:24 PM

I saw him a while ago on PBS. He is interesting. He stated that he felt football was a form of child abuse. I definately
[/code] see his point. My son is very talented athletically but as I look into this further I might be faced with forcing him to quit football--his passion.  Every thing happens for a reason.   

[quote name='EAMom' date='Dec 15 2009, 11:59 AM' post='48794']

Dr. Daniel Amen (he's the spec scan guy...he's written a bunch of books, has been on PBS etc) has some interesting info. on head injuries:

[url=http://www.amenclinics.com/brain-science/spect-image-gallery/spect-atlas/images-of-brain-trauma/]http://www.amenclinics.com/brain-science/s...f-brain-trauma/[/url]

[/quote]

[code]

#11 joan pandas mom

joan pandas mom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 08:28 PM

If you find it please let me know. That is very interesting.

There was an OCD program on TV not long ago (can't remember which network) that featured the case of a high school football player who developed severe OCD after a series of concussions. I would think that a serious blow to the head might contribute.

Does anybody else remember the details about the OCD show? I believe it was mentioned in a topic here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users