Your existing Forum account allows you to comment on articles and download behavior charts on the new ACN Latitudes Website. You will need to login with your email address and password when signing into the forums or the new website. Our new site gives you searchable access to hundreds of free articles, social media, a store for products, and more. We also have a special membership plan, which includes new premium features on the forums.

Tourett's Syndrome and OCD

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_jan_*

Guest_jan_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2002 - 12:28 PM

My 7 year old son has recently been diagnosed with Tourett's syndrome with OCD as the underlying cause. His DR. recommends Luvox. In the meantime he has also had a hair analysis which showed heavy metal toxicity and a spectracell test which showed low levels of asparagine, choline, zinc, b-12, folate and pantenothenate as well as a very low antioxidant function. I would like to know just exactly how safe Luvox is should we decide to give it to him while we are trying to straighten out the other issues. I'm also wondering about the safest and most effective way to eliminate the heavy metal toxicity from his system. Can OCD be triggered by his nutritional defficiencies as well as the heavy metal toxicity or is this unrelated? My son has been on many antibiotics from the age of six months for recurrant ear infections. Two months prior to the worsening of his tics he had a reaction to his DTaP vaccine. I would really appreciate any insight you could give me to his situation. Thank You

#2 Dr_Robbins

Dr_Robbins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 04 November 2002 - 08:41 AM

I'll have to get back to you on your question in the next day or two.
Dr. Albert Robbins
Board Certified in Preventive Medicine and
Occupational and Environmental Medicine
Boca Raton, Florida

#3 Dr_Robbins

Dr_Robbins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 15 November 2002 - 08:32 AM

Luvox is another SSRI type of antidepressant also effective for OCD. I don't use this drug. It can cause side effects including mania. Discuss this with your physician.
The question of heavy metal toxicity is complicated. There is a lot of controversy ; consider reading the book"Children With Starving Brains"for a full discussion. Making a correct diagnosis is important. There are nutrients like DMG, TMG, alpha lipoic acid, zinc, glutathione, and vitamin C which are helpful in detoxification ; this is discussed in the above recommended book.
Nutritional deficiencies should be corrected. A total nutritional/environmental approach may be required for good results. Sometimes one or two things help. This is not a perfect science. Not enough research has been done. The first principle is to do no harm. Consider therapies that are safe and not risky.
Dr. Albert Robbins
Board Certified in Preventive Medicine and
Occupational and Environmental Medicine
Boca Raton, Florida

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users