• Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Google Plus
  • Youtube
  • youtube

Existing forum users need to log into the forums and website with their email address and password. Become a premium member to access enhanced forum features and visit our online store to view our products.
New eBook: Your Child Has Changed; Should You Consider PANDAS?

Have you seen the ACN Latitudes PANDAS eBookOur helpful book is a 37-page primer in a friendly question & answer format.  This eBook contains useful information to understand the symptoms of PANDAS, how it is diagnosed (including lab tests), the different types of treatments, approaches for prevention, and how to find the help and support that you need. Learn more

Stop Tics Today - Find the real causes to find the cures

ACN Latitudes Premium Membership

Photo
- - - - -

Augmentin Not Working?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 fcefxer

fcefxer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 08:40 PM

Just throwing this out there. When we were first toying with the idea that my daughter had PANDAS, we tried penicillin ( my daughter is allergic to mold) It made her tics much worse, but had no visible other complications as in rashes or difficulty breathing. She has been on KEFLEX now for 7 weeks and is syptom free for the first time in TWELVE years. That's right TWELVE. It got me to thinking that I';m hearing from some mom's trying penicillin or Augmentin that it didn't work on their child. Perhaps it's for the same reason as my daughter. Each mom I've spoken to that their child was slower to respond, or started to, then it stopped working, also had active black mold growing in their house. I can't stress enough how strongly mold effects people neurologically, and can cause a person to be sensitive to penicillin.

I had written to Dr. Swedo and she said that in her clinic, she treats with penicillin or cephalosporins (spelling?) which keflex is. Maybe just trying a different antibiotic that is not made from mold could be the difference. It certainly was for us. Penicillin made her very, very, very tic-y and made her OCD much worse.

Nancy

#2 fuelforall

fuelforall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 08:45 PM

Just throwing this out there. When we were first toying with the idea that my daughter had PANDAS, we tried penicillin ( my daughter is allergic to mold) It made her tics much worse, but had no visible other complications as in rashes or difficulty breathing. She has been on KEFLEX now for 7 weeks and is syptom free for the first time in TWELVE years. That's right TWELVE. It got me to thinking that I';m hearing from some mom's trying penicillin or Augmentin that it didn't work on their child. Perhaps it's for the same reason as my daughter. Each mom I've spoken to that their child was slower to respond, or started to, then it stopped working, also had active black mold growing in their house. I can't stress enough how strongly mold effects people neurologically, and can cause a person to be sensitive to penicillin.

I had written to Dr. Swedo and she said that in her clinic, she treats with penicillin or cephalosporins (spelling?) which keflex is. Maybe just trying a different antibiotic that is not made from mold could be the difference. It certainly was for us. Penicillin made her very, very, very tic-y and made her OCD much worse.

Nancy

Yes, it's definitely time to move on for my son. Zithromax is not doing anything for him. Penicillin was tried a year ago to no avail. I think Keflex may be the choice now. Did symptoms go away slowly? Was it still bad for a few days or did you see immediate response? We did high dosage of Zith and nothing doing. It may be due to that Northeastern strain of strep rearing its ugly head.

#3 vickie

vickie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,256 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 08:46 PM

Well, you're now the 4th person I've heard had success with Keflex! I am happy she is doing well!

#4 faith

faith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 08:50 PM

Nancy

Yes, it's definitely time to move on for my son. Zithromax is not doing anything for him. Penicillin was tried a year ago to no avail. I think Keflex may be the choice now. Did symptoms go away slowly? Was it still bad for a few days or did you see immediate response? We did high dosage of Zith and nothing doing. It may be due to that Northeastern strain of strep rearing its ugly head.

fuel,
how long is your ds on zith now?

#5 fuelforall

fuelforall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 09:03 PM

Ds went on zith several times last year and it really didn't do a thing. We tried boosting it recently because his titers were elevated for five days and that ended last Saturday. Now it's Tuesday. He's horrible. I'm ready to send him to behavioral boarding school. Since IVIG in October, which appears not to have done a thing, he was on Zith twice a week. As I said, the boost came last week. But I'm tired of waiting.
Instead I am thinking Keflex and tonsils out now, the latter per Dr. T's suggestion. I just think he has had this problem for seven years or so and Zithromax does not affect anything here. I know it's easiest on the stomach but I'd rather see him get a little diarrhea a couple days and get him well long term if that's what it takes. It's worth trying, I think.

michael

#6 keithandelizabeth

keithandelizabeth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 09:22 PM

So, does augmentin have mold in it?

elizabeth

#7 fcefxer

fcefxer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 10:29 PM

It was a slow progression. It took about 5 weeks to feel we were on our way to beating this. It's about 7 weeks now on 2000 mgs of keflex a day. She is a new person. She tells me, "Not 100% but MUCH, MUCH better."

Nancy

Nancy

#8 fcefxer

fcefxer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 10:30 PM

Ds went on zith several times last year and it really didn't do a thing. We tried boosting it recently because his titers were elevated for five days and that ended last Saturday. Now it's Tuesday. He's horrible. I'm ready to send him to behavioral boarding school. Since IVIG in October, which appears not to have done a thing, he was on Zith twice a week. As I said, the boost came last week. But I'm tired of waiting.
Instead I am thinking Keflex and tonsils out now, the latter per Dr. T's suggestion. I just think he has had this problem for seven years or so and Zithromax does not affect anything here. I know it's easiest on the stomach but I'd rather see him get a little diarrhea a couple days and get him well long term if that's what it takes. It's worth trying, I think.

michael

#9 britneymag

britneymag

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 10:30 PM

Speaking of mold, I have been meaning to ask on here if any of your children have a problem with mold in their toilet. If we don't clean my dd's toilet every couple of days it gets a black colored mold in it. My dh says that it is because she won't flush it (ocd symptom) but my son never remembers to flush his and it never gets mold in it. Do you think this could be some kind of bacteria she she has and it could be causing her symptoms. I have only noticed it when her symptoms are bad. None of the other toilets in the house get mold in them.

It might make sense about the penicillin, because it works for a bit each time we try another one but they stop working after a couple of weeks. Maybe I should ask for Keflex next.

Melanie

#10 fcefxer

fcefxer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 10:33 PM

I don't know the answer to this but, shouldn't the Azith be given daily for months to see a positive change? I know when the doctor first put her on Keflex he did 2 weeks on, two weeks off WRONG!!!!!!! It has to be consistent. That way didn't do anything to help.

Nancy

michael

#11 fcefxer

fcefxer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 10:39 PM

Penicillin is made from mold and Augmentin is made of penicillin. Also if you have mold on cellar or bathroom walls, it means that there is a ton behind that wall. Also dirt basement flloors, or sometimes under the wood floor that's placed on a cement slab. You can get a mold spore test at Home Depot for $10-12. Follow direction s an then mail the completed test to the company for results (but if you see fuzz in the test after a few days...bingo we have mold!) Mold in the air is really bad for people neurologically and can make you really sensitive to it, as in penicillin.

So yes if you are allergic to mold Augmenin can make you worse. We take Keflex 2000 mgs a day for my 130 pound son and 150 pound daughter.

Nancy

So, does augmentin have mold in it?

elizabeth

#12 eamom

eamom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 01:13 AM

I don't know the answer to this but, shouldn't the Azith be given daily for months to see a positive change? I know when the doctor first put her on Keflex he did 2 weeks on, two weeks off WRONG!!!!!!! It has to be consistent. That way didn't do anything to help.

Nancy

michael

I agree...I don't think you would be able to tell much from only 5 days of full-strength Azith. I would give it at least a month before you say it's not doing anything.

#13 fcefxer

fcefxer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 08:02 AM

Sounds like a plumbing problem. Important to use bleach to destroy it right away.

Nancy

Speaking of mold, I have been meaning to ask on here if any of your children have a problem with mold in their toilet. If we don't clean my dd's toilet every couple of days it gets a black colored mold in it. My dh says that it is because she won't flush it (ocd symptom) but my son never remembers to flush his and it never gets mold in it. Do you think this could be some kind of bacteria she she has and it could be causing her symptoms. I have only noticed it when her symptoms are bad. None of the other toilets in the house get mold in them.

It might make sense about the penicillin, because it works for a bit each time we try another one but they stop working after a couple of weeks. Maybe I should ask for Keflex next.

Melanie

#14 keithandelizabeth

keithandelizabeth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 08:19 AM

Wow Nancy:

My son is highly allergic to mold!!! He has been on augmentin for 3 1/2 months. I am going to try to change it today. So, as a prophylactic antibiotic to prevent strep, do you think zithromycin or keflex would work better?

Elizabeth

#15 fcefxer

fcefxer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 09:35 AM

I know Keflex is not made from mold, and it worked great for us, so it gets my vote.

Wow Nancy:

My son is highly allergic to mold!!! He has been on augmentin for 3 1/2 months. I am going to try to change it today. So, as a prophylactic antibiotic to prevent strep, do you think zithromycin or keflex would work better?

Elizabeth

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users