Your existing Forum account allows you to comment on articles and download behavior charts on the new ACN Latitudes Website. You will need to login with your email address and password when signing into the forums or the new website. Our new site gives you searchable access to hundreds of free articles, social media, a store for products, and more. We also have a special membership plan, which includes new premium features on the forums.

TS and symptoms of ADD

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Guest_Jo_*

Guest_Jo_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2002 - 04:42 PM

My 10 yr. old son was diagnosed with TS last year. After an initial six month period of increasingly frequent tics, his tics are now nearly undetectable (it's been 7 months). He has undergone a combination of modifications in diet, allergy treatment, and supplements and that has had a significant impact on his physical improvement. My concern is that over the past two years even before the TS diagnosis, he has experienced some difficulty staying on task at school and maintaining his focus in completing in-class work. Now in the fourth grade, when children are expected to be considerably more independent in doing their schoolwork and paying attention without numerous reminders, his teacher is concerned that he may fall behind because of this. As an example she said, when he should be making a transition from one activity to another, instead he may be preoccupied with sorting through his pencil erasers. he has been chronically late in completing some in-class assignments. When questioned on why he feels unable to complete his tasks in the appropriate time and manner, he says he just doesn't know. He is never defiant in his response to his teacher or to me.
When he was diagnosed, the neurologist did not indicate he had ADD. In fact, I believe my son does display some of the symptions of ADD, but does not exhibit a full blown case. Could his inability to stay on task be attributed to his TS (he has not been distracted or hindered by tics), or do you think it is simply more of a motivational issue. He tends to also be rather disorganized (ie. keeping his desk tidy, file folders organized) and forgetful at times. Please give me some advice on the extent to which these symptoms may be involuntary.

#2 Dr_Robbins

Dr_Robbins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 21 October 2002 - 07:23 PM

Dear Jo,

Ask the teacher for recommendations. Your physician might suggest a trial of medication. Psychological testing, tutoring, further dietary changes may all be helpful.I don't think this is related to the tic disorder.
His disorganization may be involuntary. It may be a manifestation of depression, just being a boy, or ADD. If you cannot motivate him to make the necessary changes, then you should ask for assistance .
Dr. Albert Robbins
Board Certified in Preventive Medicine and
Occupational and Environmental Medicine
Boca Raton, Florida

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users