• Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Google Plus
  • Youtube
  • youtube

Existing forum users need to log into the forums and website with their email address and password. Become a premium member to access enhanced forum features and visit our online store to view our products.
Natural Treatments for Tics and Tourette's - A Patient and Family Guide

Our helpful guide is a #1 bestselling book on tics and Tourette's. This 365-page book explains how to treat tics using natural and alternative therapies, from nutritional, behavioral and counseling therapies, EEG biofeedback, and homeopathy to bodywork, energy medicine, and Chinese medicine. This Book offers advice from medical experts, a common tic triggers checklist, inspirational family stories, practical worksheets, and takeaway tips for the help that you need. Learn more

Dr William Walsh Autism OCD PANDAS Depression and Methylation Article

ACN Latitudes Premium Membership

Photo
- - - - -

What is difference between 5-htp, GABA?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kimwal

kimwal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 28 March 2004 - 09:47 PM

What is the difference between GABA, and 5-htp???
Are they for depression??

#2 chemar

chemar

Advanced Member

• Premium
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,997 posts

Posted 28 March 2004 - 10:27 PM

Hi kimwal

GABA( Gamma Aminobutyric Acid) is best known as a stress reliever and anti anxiety supplement

here is a good link for info on it
http://www.wholeheal...5,10027,00.html

5-Hydroxytryptophan (5-HTP) is an amino acid that is the intermediate step between tryptophan and the important brain chemical serotonin.

Increasing seratonin levels helps to combat depression, and also seems to ease the symptoms of OCD

here is a good link for info on 5HTP
http://community.hea...d=/tnp/pg000141

hope that helps you with the info you need.
If not, let me know as i have lots more links for them
:)

When life brings you to your knees....you're in a good position to pray!

click here for: The Treatments that have Helped My Son

click here for the Helpful Threads on Tourette/Tics

* Focus on the light at the end of the tunnel.*

#3 Guest_kim_*

Guest_kim_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2004 - 12:41 PM

Can you give them both together?

#4 chemar

chemar

Advanced Member

• Premium
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,997 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 12:55 PM

I have, but only with our physician's approval and only because my son is not on any medications. They work differently and so compliment each other rather than accentuating.....also, my son takes the lowest doses of each.

Kim, there are people who react negatively even to "natural" products and so my advice to you would be to first run this by your doctor (or someone who is trained in naturopathy)

and start with just ONE (I would suggest the 5HTP at 50mg in the evening) try that for 2 weeks and then, if you still feel it is necessary, add the GABA at minimal dose.

When life brings you to your knees....you're in a good position to pray!

click here for: The Treatments that have Helped My Son

click here for the Helpful Threads on Tourette/Tics

* Focus on the light at the end of the tunnel.*

#5 Hmark

Hmark

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 11:36 PM

I have, but only with our physician's approval and only because my son is not on any medications. They work differently and so compliment each other rather than accentuating.....also, my son takes the lowest doses of each.

Kim, there are people who react negatively even to "natural" products and so my advice to you would be to first run this by your doctor (or someone who is trained in naturopathy)

and start with just ONE (I would suggest the 5HTP at 50mg in the evening) try that for 2 weeks and then, if you still feel it is necessary, add the GABA at minimal dose.

Thanks for providing such a useful information about 5-htp and gaba. Worth reading. Please continue to share useful information with us.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users