ACN Latitudes Forums

L-Carnitine and Salicylates

Hi,

I am thinking of starting my son on L-Carnitine due to his vocal tic re-emerging and a worsening of eye tics. He had been doing much better on the Feingold stage 1 diet in which we reduced salicylates. I am not sure why things have worsened... maybe environmental allergies, though he has no apparent allergy symptoms, just know that environmental allergies have been bothering many in Northern CA where we now live.

In reading others posts on what supplements has helped vocal tics, I notice L-Carnitine frequently appears and so I want to give it a try. Can anyone recommend the dose for a 4 year old, 35 lbs? Also I googled L-Carnitine and Salicylates and there is some complicated rat studies that suggest there may be a connection... anyone know more about this?

Thanks for the help!

Betty,

What are your B6 doses like? Are they high? We saw a decrease in salicylate sensitivity when we reduced the B6. I read about that a long time ago and then personally saw an improvement when we reduced the B6.

Caryn

Betty,

What are your B6 doses like? Are they high? We saw a decrease in salicylate sensitivity when we reduced the B6. I read about that a long time ago and then personally saw an improvement when we reduced the B6.

Caryn

Thanks for your response. You actually alerted me to the connection between B6 and salicylates. I have taken him off the B6 (on 30mg of P-5-P, which I think is high for his age). I had him off it entirely since beginning the Feingold diet in February and put him back on it 2 weeks ago. I think there is a time lag sometimes where some initially see a benefit and then have an increase in tics. If his tics go back down I will assume B6 did play a role as this would be the 2nd time we had that pattern. Of course, if I start another supplement I may not know what was the cause of any change???? He has been off the B6 for 2 days, no improvement, maybe even slightly worse? Thanks again for your help!

Betty,

Caryn

Thanks for your response. You actually alerted me to the connection between B6 and salicylates. I have taken him off the B6 (on 30mg of P-5-P, which I think is high for his age). I had him off it entirely since beginning the Feingold diet in February and put him back on it 2 weeks ago. I think there is a time lag sometimes where some initially see a benefit and then have an increase in tics. If his tics go back down I will assume B6 did play a role as this would be the 2nd time we had that pattern. Of course, if I start another supplement I may not know what was the cause of any change???? He has been off the B6 for 2 days, no improvement, maybe even slightly worse? Thanks again for your help!

Wait so B6 is bad for tics? Im confused again I thought it was important especially for verbal tics

B6 is good and in many cases elevated levels are necessary to help alleviate symptoms. But lab testing is vital to determining what amount is necessary. There is such a thing as too much B6 even though it is water soluble. If you google it you will see that. I have a 6 yr old and when I started on this path he was barely 4 and very small for his age. I was giving him high doses without lab testing in the beginning because that is what I was reading should be done.

My son has a condition called pyroluria and so B6 supps are a vital part of his regime. All I am saying is that there needs to be a balance in the supps and doctor advice involved or you may end up creating an imbalance somewhere else. Also, if you are doing an elimination diet or a GFCF diet or any other 'gut healing' regime there is a good chance that once the gut heals the high doses are going to be too much and will need to be adjusted. Our doc told us as much when he advised us about how to manage pyroluria effectively. Some, not all with tics, also find they have pyroluria.

ok i read about being under methylated with tourettes but my son is also ASD the article said that ts patients respond to cesium? what is that ?how do i get it and does it help it also says undr meth people have low serotonin levels and that ts patients are usually UM I thought that TS was to much Dopimine This is so confusing Lexapro i think made him tic worse so if its low seritonin than why would this get worse someone help

oh yea Lcarnatine is it better in liquid or tablets ?

ok i read about being under methylated with tourettes but my son is also ASD the article said that ts patients respond to cesium? what is that ?how do i get it and does it help it also says undr meth people have low serotonin levels and that ts patients are usually UM I thought that TS was to much Dopimine

Cesium is a trace mineral. I have no idea if it helps TS. It would be difficult to find it as a separate supplement; there are only a couple of places online I think. A trace mineral complex would have it.

I've read that it is used for cancer. I don't know if it has many other uses than that. I can't remember the name of one company that makes it. Its something pharmacologica or something pharma___. Sounded like a foreign name.

Its expensive though. It would cost at least $60 for a bottle.