Existing forum users need to log into the forums and website with their email address and password. Become a premium member to access enhanced forum features and visit our online store to view our products.

New eBook: Your Child Has Changed; Should You Consider PANDAS?

Have you seen the ACN Latitudes PANDAS eBook?  Our helpful book is a 37-page primer in a friendly question & answer format.  This eBook contains useful information to understand the symptoms of PANDAS, how it is diagnosed (including lab tests), the different types of treatments, approaches for prevention, and how to find the help and support that you need. Learn more

Photo

Interactive Metronome

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mustang carole

mustang carole

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 06 November 2003 - 04:07 PM

Hi,
I have a teen with lots of side effects from too many neuro drugs. He is presently off all meds to get detoxified and get another PET scan. He is like a zonbie starting to wake up. Would you suggest the interactive metronome to help him to jump start his brain to help his learning again. We should have a home school teacher coming to the house since he cannot go to the HIgh school setting, but we are over due for his IEP.
Is there any other methods of teaching that you would recommend?

Thanks! :D

Mustang Carole

#2 Ricki Linksman

Ricki Linksman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 November 2003 - 09:49 PM

Dear Mustang Carole,
You are asking a great question. Several years ago, I researched the Interactive Metronome and was impressed with its benefits to helping students with various attention disorders. I wanted to see its benefits for myself, so I went through the IM provider training, and offered it at my reading institute, National Reading Diagnostics Institute, headquartered in Naperville, Illinois. I saw definite improvements in the variety of children and adults who went through the IM program. Their attention span did increase and there was a corresponding increase in their academic performance. Since the movements in IM involve movements controlled by both the left and right sides of the brain it stimulates the brain. You may wish to visit the IM site Interactivemetronome.com to find out more details and find an IM provider near you.
The second thing you can do is to use methods to match your child's learning style. For example, if your child is kinesthetic, then teaching through kinesthetic methods will be easier and more fun. If your child is tactile, then teaching through tactile methods will be more enjoyable.
A third factor which you did not bring up but which is important is to work at the child's success level. If the work is way above his current level, he will be bored and frustrated and will tune out. Diagnosing his current level of ability in reading (or math, or writing, or whatever subject you wish him to learn) and building from that point will increase chances for success, and successful learning experiences increase motivation and interest. I hope you try the combination of these three practices to help your son.
All the best,
Ricki Linksman

#3 Guest_Elaine_*

Guest_Elaine_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2003 - 11:35 AM

very interesting. I'm an LD teacher and never heard of this. thank you. Elaine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users