Your existing Forum account allows you to comment on articles and download behavior charts on the new ACN Latitudes Website. You will need to login with your email address and password when signing into the forums or the new website. Our new site gives you searchable access to hundreds of free articles, social media, a store for products, and more. We also have a special membership plan, which includes new premium features on the forums.

New eBook: Your Child Has Changed; Should You Consider PANDAS?

Have you seen the ACN Latitudes PANDAS eBookOur helpful book is a 37-page primer in a friendly question & answer format.  This eBook contains useful information to understand the symptoms of PANDAS, how it is diagnosed (including lab tests), the different types of treatments, approaches for prevention, and how to find the help and support that you need. Learn more

kinesthetic learners

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Guest_Maureen_*

Guest_Maureen_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2003 - 07:26 AM

Dear Ricki Linksman. I read your article on the Latitudes site about ADHD and kinesthetic learners. I can see that there are different types of ways people learn--I've seen this with my students. And I think we expect kids to sit in their desks at school way too long! (Our school doesn't even give regular recess any more.) What are some good kinesthetic ideas for third graders and reading? I'd like to try some out. Thank you for doing this forum. Great idea! Maureen :D

#2 Ricki Linksman

Ricki Linksman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 November 2003 - 11:01 PM

Dear Maureen,
It is shocking to hear that the students at your school do not have recess anymore!
One thing you can do is to teach your students in all their subjects in their best learning style, so that learning will be easier, more relaxing, more fun, and more productive for all your students. Remember, kinesthetic techniques are for students who like to learn that way. Students of other learning styles may not like kinesthetic techniques and may prefer activities in their way of learning (visual, auditory, or tactile, and combinations of these). As far as your kinesthetic students are concerned, I have several books, as well as books of lesson plans on how to teach phonics, vocabulary, and comprehension in different learning styles, including kinesthetic. I also have an Internet-based reading program, called Keys to Reading Success, which allows you to diagnose their reading abilities and their learning style and has lesson plans for students pre-K, K-12, and college, to teach phonics, comprehension, vocabulary, fluency, and phonemic awareness in their best learning style. You can get an on-line demo of this through going to the web-site, www.keys2reading.com
The basic principle of Kinesthetic learning is involving their large motor muscles. This translates into learning by doing, by activity, by being actively involved in real life experience or applications related to what is being taught, simulations, rule-playing, games, discovery, exploration, competitons, movement, and working towards a goal in an active way.
One of the easiest way to move an activity into kinesthetic mode is to take flip chart people around the walls of the room or on the board, and let the kinesthetic students do their lessons writing while standing up. They can use large colored markers to do their work. This small change allows their large motor muscles to move while they write standing up. Another is to let them have their desks at the back of the room and allow them to work at their desks standing up when they want to. Another is to make a game or competition of some of the more rote or practice learning activities in which they get points to win prizes or rewards. You can couple the correct completion of a math or reading task with a kinsthetic moment such as throwing a ball into a basket, putting a golf ball into a cup, or some movement activity each time they get an answer correc. This motivates them to get the answer right if they know they can get up and move! You will find hundreds more activities in my books that provide a kinesthetic solution to all aspects of reading.
As I do programs for teachers in schools around the country, you can contact me by email: readinginstruction@yahoo.com to see whether I could offer your teachers more in-depth training in these techniques. Where are you located?
I am sure if you incorporate the kinesthetic activities into your various subjects, your kinesthetic students will become so engaged and involved in these enjoyable activities, they won't miss recess!
With regards, Ricki Linksman

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users