Your existing Forum account allows you to comment on articles and download behavior charts on the new ACN Latitudes Website. You will need to login with your email address and password when signing into the forums or the new website. Our new site gives you searchable access to hundreds of free articles, social media, a store for products, and more. We also have a special membership plan, which includes new premium features on the forums.

SCD diet vs GFCF

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Paula Perez_*

Guest_Paula Perez_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2003 - 06:23 PM

Dr. McCandless,

We did GFCF for 8 months with my daughter, then changed to SCD (Specific Carbohydrate Diet) one month ago. She is doing better on SCD than she did on GFCF even though I have taken her off all of her supplements which contained rice bran, sucrose, etc. (which I am avoiding on SCD).

I'm wondering if you have heard of this diet and what you think about it. It's a diet whose aim is to totally heal the gut from top to bottom, so it seems to me that this is what we are looking to do with our autistic children. According to the diet, once the gut is healed, and as it is healing, the vitamins and minerals are absorbed and the brain gets nutrition. My daughter is more interactive, more eye contact, and her little personality seems to be emerging.

This diet eliminates all starches and sugars which are said to feed the yeast (rice, potatoes, sucrose, lots more). I hope I am doing the right thing for my daughter. It seems to be working.

Thank you so much for your opinion.
Paula

#2 dr_mccandless

dr_mccandless

Advanced Member

• Premium
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 16 March 2003 - 12:03 AM

Dear Paula: I must say I know very little about this diet; it sounds extreme and yet that is how I felt about GF/CF when I first heard of it, and I'm sure many kids could benefit by it.
I agree with Bernie Rimland's, "Do what works." (as long as it is not harmful of course). So it sounds like it's certainly working so far. Jaquelyn
Jaquelyn McCandless, MD
Author, Children with Starving Brains

#3 Guest_Paula Perez_*

Guest_Paula Perez_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2003 - 09:13 AM

Dr. McCandless,

I just wanted to let you know where you could find out about this SCD diet if you are interested. It might be helpful especially to those who are not getting great results with GFCF.

www.geocities.com/recoverymaze
www.SCDiet.org
www.breakingtheviciouscycle.com

Hope this helps someone. You have been extremely helpful to me during this forum. I wish all DAN doctors would be as accessible as you, although I know it takes an incredible amount of your time and energy. I am thinking and praying for your grand daughter. She is so lucky to have you by her side.

Paula

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users