Your existing Forum account allows you to comment on articles and download behavior charts on the new ACN Latitudes Website. You will need to login with your email address and password when signing into the forums or the new website. Our new site gives you searchable access to hundreds of free articles, social media, a store for products, and more. We also have a special membership plan, which includes new premium features on the forums.

Photo

Mustang Carole

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mustang carole

mustang carole

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 15 March 2003 - 06:08 AM

Hi,
Can you give Ativan or a calming agent when starting the basic vitamins like daily vit, E, C, for an extrememly nervous and sensitive kid? This is in coordination with the physician's order for the meds of course.
Thanks for your help!

#2 dr_mccandless

dr_mccandless

Advanced Member

• Premium
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 15 March 2003 - 11:43 AM

Dear Mustang Carole: No. The only thing I reserve for a one time use of Ativan is for venipuncture for an older child who is terrified. Ativan is a benzodiazepine and very addicting very quickly. I would not like to sedate away a useful reaction that tells us what the child can tolerate. I would just start extremely slowly and build up to tolerance. These reactions give us important information that we need to heed, as the metabolism is extremely complex and so different for each child that a unique program has to be provided for each one. Jaquelyn
Jaquelyn McCandless, MD
Author, Children with Starving Brains

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users