Your existing Forum account allows you to comment on articles and download behavior charts on the new ACN Latitudes Website. You will need to login with your email address and password when signing into the forums or the new website. Our new site gives you searchable access to hundreds of free articles, social media, a store for products, and more. We also have a special membership plan, which includes new premium features on the forums.

GABA 5HT Melatonin

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Ada_*

Guest_Ada_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2003 - 10:22 PM

Dear Dr. McCandless: Do you recommend the use of GABA, 5HT, and/or melatonin in the ASD pediatric population. If so, when could these be useful? I know certain genetic studies are focusing on MAO, serotonin receptors, GABA, and catecholamine disorder. I also heard a vague result about a RBC abnormality in these children from some genetic research. Do you know anything about this? Thanks.

#2 dr_mccandless

dr_mccandless

Advanced Member

• Premium
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 15 March 2003 - 01:34 AM

Dear Ada: I cannot make a blanket statement about these nutrients, as in certain children at certain times any of them may be indicated. I do not know of the research you are mentioning. Jaquelyn
Jaquelyn McCandless, MD
Author, Children with Starving Brains

#3 Bhanga

Bhanga

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 March 2003 - 08:49 AM

Hi I'd be very interested in knowing what research you are referring to and also any info on the genetic disorders whcih are related. Thanks Leslie

#4 Guest_Ada_*

Guest_Ada_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2003 - 09:13 AM

Hi Leslie,
Much genetic research is being conducted at The Institute of Basic Research in Staten Island, New York. For example, the effect of maternal depression throughout pregnancy and autism; environmental areas of high incidence; multiple cases in one family like among siblings, etc. (The RBC abnormality was vaguely mentioned to me by a researcher as something very new; the neurotransmitters like MAO, GABA,catecholamines etc. I might be able to get more specifics and pass it on to you). If I could I will e-mail you with more information as I hear myself. This is all a big challenging puzzle. The Mount Sinai Medical Center in Manhattan, NY is also doing much genetic rersearch. I have one big booklet on these studies and results after attending one of ther conferences on autism. I don't know how to get this one to you. Keep in touch. I am interested in genetic studies but more concerned about the excellent work of The Autism Autoimmune Project and doctors like our angel Dr. McCandless who actually work on healing our very sick children. Time is of essence here! My E-mail address is Prozacada814@aol.com!!! Thanks.Ada.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users