ACN Latitudes Forums

DS flaring after flu -- please help

flamom

My ds 15 had a bad bout with Flu B last week --- very high fever, body aches, etc. Took Tamiflu, and is now left with a chesty cough. Oddly enough, his Pandas symptoms were not bad during the flu week...tics decreased, OCD, anxiety, and ADHD symptoms were all surprisingly decreased.

Two days ago, however, the Pandas symptoms came back with a vengeance. Tics, OCD, anxiety, hyperactivity are worse than they've been in a long time. He also has a red, dotted rash on his face (we think this rash--which we've seen on his trunk before-- is yeast related). AND, he is finding it hard to make eye contact-- he has never mentioned this symptom to me before.

He has consistently been on antibiotics, and he has ongoing mycoplasma. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Sorry to hear that flamom. If there is one thing that we all seem to agree on, it is that for whatever reason, the Pandas symptoms subside during flu-like viruses. The calm before the storm....and then wham. I would definitely start adding the motrin 3x a day. For the the longest time, I rejected this because I just did not want to add one more thing to his day. My counter looks like there is a geriatric patient living here, with supplements and all. However, just the past 2 days, my ds started showing some moderate symptoms, from exposure I think, and so I started the motrin. IT HAS WORKED, AND QUITE WELL!!! So while I don't have any great advice, because unless he has an infection that is treated with higher abx, I would suggest that. I also started implement deep back massages along with some sensory therapy that can calm my ds. I go below each joint, knee/elbow and do a very slow push pull, about 10 times on each joint. I also pull firmly on each finger, about 10 seconds long and hold it. This is very very soothing to my ds. He just loves it. I think it helps with the creepy crawly sensation that these kids feel from the anxiety or who know what....

Hope this helps.

Thanks so much qannie47 and 3bmom. I just don't understand why our kids are almost asymptomatic when they have fever/flu?? It's as if their immune systems are working appropriately during these illnesses.

3bmom, you raise a good point-- the rash on face (especially chin) is tiny red dots. But DS is on Augmentin/Minocycline/Zithromax, so pediatrician said no need to test last week for strep when Flu B came back positive. Do you agree? Is it possible to still get strep while on so many antibiotics?