Your existing Forum account allows you to comment on articles and download behavior charts on the new ACN Latitudes Website. You will need to login with your email address and password when signing into the forums or the new website. Our new site gives you searchable access to hundreds of free articles, social media, a store for products, and more. We also have a special membership plan, which includes new premium features on the forums.

Thyroid

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Brian, Toronto_*

Guest_Brian, Toronto_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2003 - 07:42 AM

My son lost a good part of his outer eyebrows and gained quite a bit of weight over the past few years .
I have read that this may be a thyroid problem which isn't showing up in basic blood tests.
I am interested in natural remedies for thyroid. Have you used these with any of the kids with autism?

I am interested to find something to help him with this big weight gain and his trouble with high cholesterol and elevated liver enzymes that seem so unusual to have since about age 6 or 7 , he is now 12.

Thanks so much for your incredible work and dedication.
My wife feels your nuggets of wisdom and hope keep her afloat on the difficult days.

#2 dr_mccandless

dr_mccandless

Advanced Member

• Premium
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 13 March 2003 - 12:46 PM

Dear Brian: Unless your child is on Risperdal or one of the other anti-psychotic drugs that are notorious for weight gain, low thyroid is definitely a suspicion here. Sluggishness, little interest in sports (couch potatoes), weight gain, and the eyebrow change all are often a part of hypothyroidism. Hypothyroidism is often a side effect of heavy mercury poisoning - it particularly damages the thyroid. I have learned to ignore lab reports of normal values for TSH, and usually consider anyone over a 2 to be probable hypothyroidism. I have some children as I have described above on small doses of Bio-Throid, a natural thyroid product made from pigs as Armour, but without the additives. I called Bio-Tech yesterday (my souce of Bio-Throid) to order and was told they have stopped making it, so I have to find another source. I prefer Armour over any synthetic; the bio-throid came in 1/8 grain tabs, which was great for kids to start on. I think I can get 1/4 grain Armour and cut it in half, but yes, many of these kids do need thyroid supplementation until we get the mercury load down. And, the lab tests are notoriously misleading. With the older ones or adults, I use the temperature method - first morning awakening temperature, and if lower than 97.6 degrees F 3 out of 4 mornings it is a sign of decreased metabolic activity (i.e. low thyroid). It is also good to get these kids into an exercise program if they are not inclined to activity. Jaquelyn
Jaquelyn McCandless, MD
Author, Children with Starving Brains

#3 Guest_Brian_*

Guest_Brian_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2003 - 08:29 AM

What dose would be a starting dose for a 150 lb kid? We have a doc to Rx the Armour thyroid and a pharmacy that is willing to compound.
Thanks , Brian

#4 dr_mccandless

dr_mccandless

Advanced Member

• Premium
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 15 March 2003 - 12:50 AM

Dear Brian: Start with the lowest dose you can get (1/8 grain for a little guy, 1/4 grain for a bigger one). Get a diary and make daily observations, and go up 1/8 grain a week until you see improvement in activity and mental alertness. When it reaches hyperactivity or nervousness, go back a bit and stay at that dose. If you go over 1-1/2 grains with no improvement, look elsewhere for another cause of symptoms. Jaquelyn
Jaquelyn McCandless, MD
Author, Children with Starving Brains

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users