ACN Latitudes Forums

Chronic motor tic?

I am wondering what is wrong with me :lol: . I went to a psychiatrist for the first time and she thinks I may have tic disorder. I am 21 years old and for the past three years I have had a habit of tensing the same certain muscles at all times including squinting eyes (slightly) and shrugging shoulders. These movements are invisible to others because they never start or stop. They just start when I wake up and ends when I sleep (at least I think so but I'm asleep). I become very tired from all this and sleep at least 11 hrs. every night. I have been taking obsessive compulsive disorder medication for the last 2 yrs but now the psychiatrist says I don't need it and prescribed me a medicine used for tic disorder. I am scared of this whole thing and what side affects medicine may cause. I am having to withdraw from college because I had a full time credit load without getting academic adjustments for a disability (not anyone's fault--was up to me).

Is it even possible to have a tic that never goes away except in sleep? I am wondering if OCD or some other thing is in place with the tic..and if I even have a tic. I haven't tried the medicine yet (starts next wk) but I am anxious to know.

Hi blueberry muffin and welcome :lol:

tic disorders can be caused by a wide range of issues, some dietary, some environmental, some genetic

in addition, some medications themselves can trigger tics, so it is important to note whether your tics have been there since before or after the OCD medication

From the way you decribe your tics, and their late onset in terms of your age, I would think that Tourette is unlikely, especially as you dont appear to have any vocal tics

What tic medication has the doctor prescribed. Again I would urge that you first read up about it and its possible side effects

Here at Latitudes/ACN, the philosophy is to try a more natural approach to helping to control tics rather than prescription medications

This is not an anti medication philosophy....just a realistic approach to the potential for side effects and a favoring of trying other methods first, as so many have found that they work.

Our administrator, Sheila Rogers, has written a superb book on the breakthroughs in natural treatments for tics and tourettes, which is an excellent resource to have

http://www.latitudes.org/book.html

Also, here on the forum, as well as on the main website at http://www.latitudes.org you will find so much great info on what various people have found to be the cause and then the correct treatment for their tic conditions

One unifying theme seems to be having a healthy diet, free of all artificial foods, like coloring, artificial sweeteners, MSG etc and correcting any vitamin, mineral, amino acid or neurotransmittor deficiencies that may exist

Many find they have food allergies, and once these are addressed, tics reduce too

Yeast infection of the gastrointestinal tract (Candida) is another biggie for making tics worse....treating this can often result in a dramatic improvement

Other microbial infections (viral, bacterial and fungal, plus parasites) can also be big tic triggers

speaking of triggers

here is a great article by Sheila on that subject which may help you odentify things that make your tics

worse

http://www.latitudes.org/articles/finding_triggers.htm

It is fairly common for tics to stop when people sleep and start again when they wake

Anyway, I hope I have given you a few insights to start your research into the best treatments for you

Please do let us know which med you were on for the OCD and whether the tics started before or after you began taking it

and

also which tic med the doc wants you to take

we have many members here with a vast range of experience and knowledge so do keep asking questions as you go along

all the best and sure hope you will find solutions here

Cheri

The tics definitely were in place before starting the OCD medication. Tics became life interuppting in highschool-October 2003. It wasn't until January 2005 that I went on the SSRI medication that is generic for Luvox (fluvoxamine). It didn't do a thing for the tics (if that's what they are). Nothing got worse or better.

I am interested in alternative approaches but because of the severity of my condition I am willing to try the medication first. Of course if I find it to be unhelpful I would look into alternative help. I am interested in alternative approaches in general because I also have generalized anxiety disorder so I try to cut down on sweets and carbohydrates and am very conscious about diet.

Hi blueberry muffin & Welcome,

It's great that your interested in alternative approaches. I'm not for sure which tic medication was suggested for you, but I would really suggest trying alternative approaches before meds. I'm 21 with Tourette Syndrome and originally had severe Tourette Syndrome. I started alternative treatments several years ago and since then have had mild tics. I became medication free 1 1/2 years ago and am so glad I did after being on medication since the age of about four. Since going off meds, I no longer see a psychiatrist. To me psychiatrists are creepy, and I always hated my once a year appt.

Medications can help some, but they're still trial and error with a lot more side effects. Medications didn't work for me, and I had a lot of bad side effects.

Carolyn

Hi blueberry muffin and welcome :lol:

tic disorders can be caused by a wide range of issues, some dietary, some environmental, some genetic

in addition, some medications themselves can trigger tics, so it is important to note whether your tics have been there since before or after the OCD medication

From the way you decribe your tics, and their late onset in terms of your age, I would think that Tourette is unlikely, especially as you dont appear to have any vocal tics

What tic medication has the doctor prescribed. Again I would urge that you first read up about it and its possible side effects

Here at Latitudes/ACN, the philosophy is to try a more natural approach to helping to control tics rather than prescription medications

This is not an anti medication philosophy....just a realistic approach to the potential for side effects and a favoring of trying other methods first, as so many have found that they work.

Our administrator, Sheila Rogers, has written a superb book on the breakthroughs in natural treatments for tics and tourettes, which is an excellent resource to have

http://www.latitudes.org/book.html

Also, here on the forum, as well as on the main website at http://www.latitudes.org you will find so much great info on what various people have found to be the cause and then the correct treatment for their tic conditions

One unifying theme seems to be having a healthy diet, free of all artificial foods, like coloring, artificial sweeteners, MSG etc and correcting any vitamin, mineral, amino acid or neurotransmittor deficiencies that may exist

Many find they have food allergies, and once these are addressed, tics reduce too

Yeast infection of the gastrointestinal tract (Candida) is another biggie for making tics worse....treating this can often result in a dramatic improvement

Other microbial infections (viral, bacterial and fungal, plus parasites) can also be big tic triggers

speaking of triggers

here is a great article by Sheila on that subject which may help you odentify things that make your tics

worse

http://www.latitudes.org/articles/finding_triggers.htm

It is fairly common for tics to stop when people sleep and start again when they wake

Anyway, I hope I have given you a few insights to start your research into the best treatments for you

Please do let us know which med you were on for the OCD and whether the tics started before or after you began taking it

and

also which tic med the doc wants you to take

we have many members here with a vast range of experience and knowledge so do keep asking questions as you go along

all the best and sure hope you will find solutions here

Cheri

The psychiatrist is having me try the medication to rule out a tic disorder. I am going to wait on taking the medication (the psychiatrist is booked for appointments this week). Anyhow I found out today that she thought that my condition (with the tic like behaviors) is more due to Generalized Anxiety Disorder and a worry-switch that gets stuck in place and can't be turned off. By the way the medication for tics prescribed was the generic of Tenex (Guanfacine).

The psychiatrist is having me try the medication to rule out a tic disorder. I am going to wait on taking the medication (the psychiatrist is booked for appointments this week). Anyhow I found out today that she thought that my condition (with the tic like behaviors) is more due to Generalized Anxiety Disorder and a worry-switch that gets stuck in place and can't be turned off. By the way the medication for tics prescribed was the generic of Tenex (Guanfacine).

Blueberry,

Maybe I'm understanding this wrong, but are you saying that the psychiatrist prescribed Tenex as a way of diagnosing a tic disorder (to rule out a tic disorder)? If so this isn't a proper way to diagnose a tic disorder.

For a diagnoses of a tic disorder, doctors may do an EEG, MRI, or CAT scan to rule out other issues. A diagnoses is made by observation and history.

Carolyn

Blueberry,

Maybe I'm understanding this wrong, but are you saying that the psychiatrist prescribed Tenex as a way of diagnosing a tic disorder (to rule out a tic disorder)? If so this isn't a proper way to diagnose a tic disorder.

For a diagnoses of a tic disorder, doctors may do an EEG, MRI, or CAT scan to rule out other issues. A diagnoses is made by observation and history.

Carolyn

That's just the thing...she did NOT diagnose me as having a tic disorder but wanted to see if the medicine had any affect. Apparently this medication is also used in those with high blood pressure and is a mild dose of medication for those with ADHD. It is also used for tics. I am personally going to put off trying the medication until I get more information eg. another doctor's advice and okay. She did however do a bit of observation and definitely asked a lot of questiong pertaining to history of any tics etc.