ACN Latitudes Forums

How long do milk and egg reactions last?

Hello all. I've decided to try an exclusion diet, starting with a few foods and adding others back one by one. (Haven't been able to identify any food reactions any other way, as my tics vary over weeks rather than hours or days.) I was thinking of starting with pear, swede, millet and quinoa - I hope nobody here reacts to THOSE? I know that's a fairly unbalanced diet, but I'm in good health (besides the obvious!) and it's only for a couple of weeks. It's so difficult to find any "safe" foods to start off with, that don't either appear as common triggers in the green book or have salicylates/amines/additives, especially as I'm a vegetarian.

Please can you tell me how long it takes, in your experience, to see a reaction to milk, if milk is a problem and it's the first time you've eaten it for a while? And how long does it take to go away again? What about eggs, and wheat? It'll make organising the challenges a lot easier if I know all those.

Thanks very much

Wombat

Sounds like you've got the starting point of an elimination diet worked out, from what I recall reading about them. Good luck with it.

My son's intolerance to dairy was probably built up over a long period time, and was probably tied into other digestive track issues. Eliminating it didn't show drastic immediate results. But I recall things going somewhat better for him within a month or so of cleaning up his diet. When he's allowed ocassinally to eat cheese now, it doesn't produce obeservable rises that I've been able to pick up on, most likely because his tolerance is greater now, because his system is pretty free of dairy.

I believe I recall reading here that some people have quick reactions to dairy. Is it one of the foods you're supposed to reintroduce first?

I'm looking forward to hearing how your diet comes along; again, good luck!

Chris

Sounds like you've got the starting point of an elimination diet worked out, from what I recall reading about them. Good luck with it.

My son's intolerance to dairy was probably built up over a long period time, and was probably tied into other digestive track issues. Eliminating it didn't show drastic immediate results. But I recall things going somewhat better for him within a month or so of cleaning up his diet. When he's allowed ocassinally to eat cheese now, it doesn't produce obeservable rises that I've been able to pick up on, most likely because his tolerance is greater now, because his system is pretty free of dairy.

I believe I recall reading here that some people have quick reactions to dairy. Is it one of the foods you're supposed to reintroduce first?

I'm looking forward to hearing how your diet comes along; again, good luck!

Chris

Thanks very much Chris. I really don't know what you're supposed to introduce when, that's why I'm posting - it's just that dairy foods are one of the most inconvenient things to cut out for me, what with being vegetarian, so I wanted to try them as soon as I could!

Can anybody else comment on this, please? What about eggs, and wheat?

• 2 weeks later...

Update: I'm now on day 9 and a bit fed up with it. No sign of any result so far, except that I've been sleeping all night without waking up, for the first time in a few weeks. But then if everyone responded within a week, they wouldn't say to give it two weeks, would they? I hope it works soon, the tics are insufferable just now, I need a rest! Failing that, I need cake!

What I'm not sure about is what order to re-introduce things, assuming I do get a result before the two weeks are up. Am I supposed to start with the most likely culprits (seems logical) or the least likely (which, if they turned out OK, would maybe give a bit of extra time for my system to clear before trying the big ones)? Does anyone know?

Edited by Wombat140

I am reading Dr. Ken Bock's book called healing the 4 A's (allergies, asthma, autism, and ADHD). He has a great chart in the book; if you can find it at your library I think you would find it helpful. He recommends being off Dairy for at least 3wks and gluten for 3mths. Then you add one new item back and wait two days before adding something else.

Have you had any allergy testing done yet? I would recommend you see an immunologist. Tics could be increased b/c of grass or pollen allergy.

At my library... are you joking? Harry Potter is about their limit. I'll have a look on Amazon if I get round to it. Unless perhaps you could somehow PM me a copy of the chart? That might be handy. I'm not sure how far to believe any of them anyway - "Fed Up" (the Failsafe Diet book) recommends giving each challenge a week, so are either of them right? Oh well, hope for the best.

There are about three allergists in this country, if that's the same as an immunologist. OK, I'm exaggerating, but not much. I did get one of those IgG home testing kits, but I couldn't manage to prick my finger! I know, wet blanket. And then everyone said IgG tests are no good anyway and I should do an elimination diet... I can't win!

Sorry I'm moaning, take no notice, the tics are worse than ever and I'm feeling a bit washed out anyway. I'm going to start taking my multivitamin/mineral again today, in case it's anaemia; there doesn't seem to be anything dodgy in that, I only stopped it to be on the safe side.

• 3 weeks later...

Update: Presumably it was anaemia, because I stopped feeling weedy within a day of starting the multi again.

Day 12, I ran out of patience and started having the other things that weren't common allergens and hadn't got salicylates/amines/glutamates/additives; that's rice/rice noodles/rice bran oil/rice cakes, leeks, spring onions, cabbage and celery. Mmm, real food! You've no idea what a difference it made.

Day 19, still with no improvement, for no particular reason I tried to see how long I could hold out without doing any tics/compulsions. I only lasted a few minutes, but afterwards the tics/compulsions seemed to be knocked back a lot - as if they'd just been pushing their luck before :D. And over the next few days I went on trying and it's not perfect by any means - yet - but I've beaten it down to not half what it was. Now that wouldn't have happened a few weeks ago. That's why I hadn't made much of an effort for a while, because it wasn't making any difference. So maybe...!

I wonder what took it so long? It could just have been holding out until the last moment, that'd be like it. Or it could have been that I wasn't kicking hard enough - I'd pretty much been sitting back and seeing what happened. Or it could have been the quinoa. I hadn't eaten any since about day 17, because I'd only really been using it to make crackers and once I was having rice cakes it was easier to have those. And it seems it's never actually been tested for salicylates etc., they just marked it as clear because most other grains are!

Anyway, I'm now on day 26, still a lot better than I was. I'm going to make a start on the challenges, beginning with beans and lentils for a bit of protein. Hope for the best!

Wombat140

• 1 month later...

Sad to say it didn't work out. Introduced beans and everything went fine, but then it got worse when I started gluten, or to be exact it was worse the morning BEFORE I started gluten and stayed that way. (Stupid of me to start on a bad day, really, but I couldn't wait to get back to more different food.) I stopped gluten pretty quickly, but more than a week later there was no improvement, so I left off the diet. I think it was just random variation both times.

I'm sorry I havent been reading boards much-----

I've been through allergy/food elimination diets---

1. Generally you should allow 7 days for foods to clear your system when eliminated---they claim longer--10 days to2 weeks for dairy.

If 26 days into it no improvement with those eliminated---I dont think youre gonna see it.

However:

2. (this is big)---

When you reintroduce foods----generally second meal of it (same day) you'll see reaction already---although some foods are up to 48 hours-------------SO ONLY INTRODUCE ONE AT A TIME,so you know which causes reaction,...but here's the (this is big!) part-----THE REACTION YOU GET WILL BE THE SAME SYMPTOMS----- ONLY GREATLY MAGNIFIED--- (and, from my experience----I mean GREATLY magnified!! ---> there will be NO DOUBT IN YOUR MIND that you are having symptoms.....

Food allergies are VERY frustrating to figure out/deal with...........((hugs)) &BEST WISHES!

Thank you for the advice!

Afraid I didn't get a very obvious reaction to anything - as I said, it was stupid of me to start the gluten on a bad day; things did go on getting much worse over the few days I was trying it, but I didn't know whether it was doing that anyway.

Edited by Wombat140

• 2 weeks later...

I skimed through the post and just want to mention a couple of things. Ds grew up with eggs and milk. He loved them both. He craved milk and would want eggs all the time. He was always very fussy and wanted attention. My mom would say he is a hand full and was always crabby. Ds is allergic to both on a skin prick and blood test at the age of 7 1/2 . When he has any milk product he get congested we have not tried him on eggs. I recall putting a egg into a pancake recipe about 7 months into being egg free and though what could this do since he had them prior and he woke up the next morning miserable. He was sneezing and congested and told me to never give him eggs. I was shocked. One to take something out of the diet and see such a reaction it's amazing,

Mat

I think you need to give this diet a chance to see any result. 1 or 2 weeks is not going to give you a clear perspective especially if there are other sensitivities you do not know about. Sorry I might of made it sound easy and to the point in my other post but it was not like that in the beginning. He had 30 things removed from his diet, known allergies and sensitivities. I did not introduce anything for many months. I think a week or two will not tell you anything. It took a long time trying to figure out what does show amn effect. If you are still seeing symtoms then I think you need to dig further and give it more time. Good luck to you and hope you find relieve.

Mar

Hmm, well, I don't think I could really do that with the diet I was on this time, leaving out all common allergens. It just doesn't do, nutritionally. I lost quite a bit of weight I couldn't really spare, as it was. I'd have to have some idea what were the "suspect" foods first, so that I could just cut out those and hopefully have a reasonable amount left. Not really sure how I'd get that, since umpteen different kind of allergy and intolerance seem to be possible culprits, but I suppose a standard (IgE) allergy test would be better than nothing? Was that what your son had, Mar?

Edited by Wombat140