• Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Google Plus
  • Youtube
  • youtube

Existing forum users need to log into the forums and website with their email address and password. Become a premium member to access enhanced forum features and visit our online store to view our products.
Special Offer: Free 1 Month Trial of our Premium Membership!

The ACN Latitudes Premium Membership provides access to over 80 premium health articles on neurological conditions along with an exclusive premium newsletter. In addition, you will have several enhanced forum features, which include helpful perks such as: no advertisements, live chat room, forum blogging, increased messaging storage, and much more! Your Premium Membership also helps to support the efforts of our non-profit organization. Start Your Free Trial!

Dr William Walsh Autism OCD PANDAS Depression and Methylation Article

ACN Latitudes Premium Membership

Photo
- - - - -

WHAT HAS WORKED FOR SLEEP?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MamaOnAMission

MamaOnAMission

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:44 AM

We have tried soooo many things. What has worked for severe OCD at night and severe insomnia?

#2 momwithocdson

momwithocdson

Advanced Member

• Premium
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts
  • Interests:All things PANDAS, OCD, travel, pets, education

Posted 02 March 2012 - 03:48 PM

Lilly --

Have you tried melatonin? Or maybe a combination of valerian root and melatonin.

Valerian root helps calm you down, feel a little more relaxed, and then the melatonin should actually trigger sleep. Take it about a 1/2-hour before bedtime.

My DS has OCD/PANDAS, and melatonin has been a lifesaver at night. There's some evidence that one of its mechanisms is as a glutamate modulator, which not only helps sleep but can also help take the edge off the OCD.

Good luck to you!

Nancy
Mom of PANDAS DS17, Senior in High School - Planning for College

#3 MamaOnAMission

MamaOnAMission

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 06:20 AM

Thanks. How much melatonin do you give?

#4 chemar

chemar

Advanced Member

• Premium
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,008 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 06:33 AM

Lilly
melatonin is an interesting hormone as for some people, the less they take the better it works, and if they take more, even the recommended dose, then it can have a negative effect, making them restless and edgy and groggy

So it is often recommended to start with the very lowest dose (300 MICROgrams) and gradually work up if needed
Many people start at higher doses (in MILIgrams) and then get those negative effects and so assume it is not for them...when in fact all they need to do is try a lower dose!

When life brings you to your knees....you're in a good position to pray!

click here for: The Treatments that have Helped My Son

click here for the Helpful Threads on Tourette/Tics

* Focus on the light at the end of the tunnel.*

#5 1tiredmama

1tiredmama

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 10:27 PM

Hi, Lilly. We also use Melatonin here. It can help, but I find that it loses its effectiveness over time. That's when we use Trazadone. I trade off every year or two between the two. My dd takes 3 milligrams. It can be purchased without a prescription because it is a supplement.

I must warn you, though, it has not worked for ds when his Christmas obsessions kick in. Nothing works for sleep when his obsessions are out of control. BUT... I did not know about Valerian Root! Come November, I'll have to give the combo a try. Thanks, MomWithOCDSon!
DS18 dx'd PANDAS in 2012, 14 years after first symptoms appeared
DS15 Happy and healthy!
DD12 dx'd PANDAS in 2012, 9 years after first symptoms appeared

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users