Your existing Forum account allows you to comment on articles and download behavior charts on the new ACN Latitudes Website. You will need to login with your email address and password when signing into the forums or the new website. Our new site gives you searchable access to hundreds of free articles, social media, a store for products, and more. We also have a special membership plan, which includes new premium features on the forums.

Photo
- - - - -

H.Pylori

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 philamom

philamom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 06:38 PM

What's the most reliable way to test for H.Pylori?

Dd 12
Chronic Sinusitis since 18mths of age. Symptoms emerged with sinus infections and into remission with abx.
Severe Episode in March 2006. Dx with PANDAS May 2006. Three other episodes between 2007-2009.
Symptoms became chronic in 2009.
Diagnosed w/Lyme & Bartonella August 2010. Positive Igenex Lyme. Positive Bartonella Quest.
2011- lupus flair, erythema nodosum, Pots, Positive Advanced Lab Culture w/ pic of spirochetes in sample.

2012- endoscopy & colonoscopy

2013- Still positive for Lyme w/Igenex.. Positive Bartonella w/Quest

Treatment: abx & IVIG

#2 cobbiemommy

cobbiemommy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 07:23 PM

One of Ds's docs ran a blood test through Quest. It popped right up with a positive response.

#3 fcefxer

fcefxer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 07:24 PM

What's the most reliable way to test for H.Pylori?

I know I posted this privately to you but I've had a ton of PM's asking how Dr. T found our h-pylori when a scope DID NOT!

Originally our Lyme doc (we don't have lyme but thought we might) checked for h-pylori antibodies (IgG, IgM, IgA..) and found one positive. I then went to get him a scope. The "doctor" (idiot) barely looked, said no h-pylori, milld redness, no explanation. So Dr. T looked at all our labs and rechecked h-pylori IgG, IgA, IgM and it was still positive. He wanted to give us antibiotics but my son's stomach has been a train wreck for years so I asked our DAN. His natural treatment is as follows.

bismuth gel 1 tsp (I can't find this)
grapefruit seed extract (1 capsule 2 x a day_)
mastic gum (2 tablets a day)
broccolli sprouts (this is a supplement)
tons of pro-biotics throughout the day
Also I fill my own empty capsules of baking soda, (one or two per meal to raise Ph. Kids with gut germs, have them because they are too acidic. Baking soda makes you alkaline, germs can't survive)
Also musenex, to thin the mucus protecting the h-pylori.

That's it! If you prefer antibiotics I know one is Azith, I also know another mom who's son's PANDAS REALLY improved after Tagamet! If the gut is not good, it greatly effects the immune system.

Good luck! Let me know if you have other questions.

Nancy

#4 philamom

philamom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 07:43 PM

So, if taking Prevacid, it would probably make the H.Pylori infection worse by reducing stomach acid??

edit- wait, I think I got that backwards.

Edited by philamom, 27 January 2012 - 07:45 PM.

Dd 12
Chronic Sinusitis since 18mths of age. Symptoms emerged with sinus infections and into remission with abx.
Severe Episode in March 2006. Dx with PANDAS May 2006. Three other episodes between 2007-2009.
Diagnosed w/Lyme & Bartonella August 2010. Positive Igenex Lyme. Positive Bartonella Quest.
2011- lupus flair, erythema nodosum, Pots, Positive Advanced Lab Culture w/ pic of spirochetes in sample.

#5 rowingmom

rowingmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 07:57 PM

I think the more alkaline the stomach the better it is for H pylori survival.

"What is Helicobacter pylori?
Helicobacter pylori, or H. pylori, is a spiral-shaped bacterium that grows in the mucus layer that coats the inside of the human stomach.

To survive in the harsh, acidic environment of the stomach, H. pylori secretes an enzyme called urease, which converts the chemical urea to ammonia. The production of ammonia around H. pylori neutralizes the acidity of the stomach, making it more hospitable for the bacterium. In addition, the helical shape of H. pylori allows it to burrow into the mucus layer, which is less acidic than the inside space, or lumen, of the stomach. H. pylori can also attach to the cells that line the inner surface of the stomach.

Although immune cells that normally recognize and attack invading bacteria accumulate near sites of H. pylori infection, they are unable to reach the stomach lining. In addition, H. pylori has developed ways of interfering with local immune responses, making them ineffective in eliminating the bacteria (1, 2)."

http://www.cancer.go...h-pylori-cancer

It also has multiple flagella.

DD12 - Born 2001. Loss of speech/fine motor ability 2 weeks after 15 month MMR.
2004 - Dx ADHD, sensory disorder (light, sound, touch), motor delay (with toe-walking), hypotonia, oral apraxia.
2008 - MMR booster and insect bite (bruise-like rash) - motor/vocal tics, emotional lability (including rage), age regressive behaviour, low level OCD, urinary frequency, diminished fine motor ability, insomnia, loss of executive function. Waxed and waned with strep/viral infections.
2010 - Dx ADHD, Tourettes, Aspergers, motor delay, probable PANDAS.
Jan 2011 - shin/forearm pain, cyclic IBS, foot (sole) pain, dizziness, palpitations, chest pain, anxiety/panic attacks, pick-like skull pain, pain and stiffness at base of skull, tingling in extremeties, chills and hot flashes, fatigue, nightly fever. 
June 2011 - Igenex PCR positive bartonella, Negative lyme (IND IgM kDa 41; IND IgG kDa 39, 34.  kDa 41++). CD57 18.  Positive ANA (speckled type), heterozygous A1298C MTHFR. Multiple Abx, methyl B12, methylfolate, P-5-P, herbal, homeopathic treatment with LLMD.

Jan 2013 - Bartonella IgG titers declined from 160 (Jun 2011) to 80.  CD57 16. 

April 2013 - Weaned from abx treatment.  Continue with Buhner herbs, ByronWhite, methylation/detox protocols, Terry Wahls gf/cf/sf diet.  Minimizing EMF exposure.

Sept 2013 - CD57 45.  

Oct 2013 - All symptoms (PANS and pain/fatigue) 95% resolved.  No flares with viral or other infections.  Slight pain herxing remains with changes in herbal protocols.

Nov 2013 - Improvement to 98% with addition of herbal protozoan treatment.

Dec 2013 - ANA titers negative.  PANS symptoms resolved.  Regular classroom requiring no accommodations.

Mar 2014 - Continued improvement in cognative/executive function with increased dosages of cryptolepis/sida/alchornea tincture.         

DS17 - Born 1996. No unusual symptoms.

#6 dut

dut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 09:25 PM

Hi - when I got tested for h pylori, I was told to drink a fluid, then 10 or so mins later, I had to breath into a bag and the bag got tested.. sorry not sure what for but I imagine it's a bit like a rapid that will look for actual bacteria or maybe toxins produced by h pylori. It may be a better test (I'm guessing here) for those who don't mount a good antibody response....
DD9 dx'd 2008 1 month after 1st recognised symptom - PITANDS
DS5 dx'd 2009 1 year after first symptoms also PITANDS

#7 911rn

911rn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 07:21 PM

bismuth gel 1 tsp (I can't find this)

Bismuth is the main ingredient in Pepto Bismol. That's what Inernist I used to work for recommended for positive H.Pylori along with the usual 2 antibiotic cocktail. Just FYI- Bismuth causes stools to turn ark green to black. They are not bleeding- it's color change from the bismuth.

#8 911rn

911rn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 07:25 PM

One of Ds's docs ran a blood test through Quest. It popped right up with a positive response.

Simple blood test- most any lab can do it. Get positive or negative result. We used to do rapid tests in the Internist office. Had a kit just like a pregnancy test.Drew a tube of blood, spun off the serum and placed in rapid test kit. Get positive or negative within no time.

#9 philamom

philamom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 07:40 PM

Thanks everyone. I'm beginning to think this may be a culprit to my daughter's severe nausea and constant stomach pain. She is also dealing with a severe fear of vomiting, esp in front of people, which keeps her from leaving the house (except when forced/bribed).
I did a stool test for h.pylori back on Dec 1st that was negative. The GI wants to do an endoscopy and colonopscy. I can't see how she would be able to handle the prep for the colonopscy. I'm suprised a blood test wasn't ordered to at least rule this out first??
I'm arranging a home blood draw for the end of next week - I'll have them add it on to her other labs.

also- my dd is having some black/tar colored stools (not always)- and smelly when it happens. So, I just read it can happen when taking iron supplements, which we just added in every other day. But I remember these dark stools taking place prior as well.

Edited by philamom, 28 January 2012 - 07:49 PM.

Dd 12

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users