• Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Google Plus
  • Youtube
  • youtube

Existing forum users need to log into the forums and website with their email address and password. Become a premium member to access enhanced forum features and visit our online store to view our products.
Special Offer: Free 1 Month Trial of our Premium Membership!

The ACN Latitudes Premium Membership provides access to over 80 premium health articles on neurological conditions along with an exclusive premium newsletter. In addition, you will have several enhanced forum features, which include helpful perks such as: no advertisements, live chat room, forum blogging, increased messaging storage, and much more! Your Premium Membership also helps to support the efforts of our non-profit organization. Start Your Free Trial!

Dr William Walsh Autism OCD PANDAS Depression and Methylation Article

ACN Latitudes Premium Membership

Photo
- - - - -

ADHD, ODD OR could it be PANDAS

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 feedjke

feedjke

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 06:10 PM

Okay, I have a son who has had PANDAS for 4 years and we live in Ohio and have about zero help here. Luckily he is somewhat mild and still fully functioning. Its me that usually ends up not function after dealing with all the behavioral and emotional issues. So he is 12 and I have a 10 year old daughter as well. She is a behavioral mess. We finally have a diagnosis that is def ODD and borderline to yes on the ADHD. However now that I have been jumping into all the new PANDAS information I just wonder if it could be PANDAS? how would I know the difference she has had many undetected or late detected strep infections since neither one of my kids show any normal symptoms such as sore, red throat, fever etc. I cant even get help for the PANDAS kid I have how would I even go about finding someone who could look at a possible connection. Although my PANDAS child is rough, my 10 year old is a nightmare. I do not medicate her and dont want to unless I have ruled out every other theory. Is PANDAS likely in siblings?

#2 peglem

peglem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,733 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 09:26 PM

Okay, I have a son who has had PANDAS for 4 years and we live in Ohio and have about zero help here. Luckily he is somewhat mild and still fully functioning. Its me that usually ends up not function after dealing with all the behavioral and emotional issues. So he is 12 and I have a 10 year old daughter as well. She is a behavioral mess. We finally have a diagnosis that is def ODD and borderline to yes on the ADHD. However now that I have been jumping into all the new PANDAS information I just wonder if it could be PANDAS? how would I know the difference she has had many undetected or late detected strep infections since neither one of my kids show any normal symptoms such as sore, red throat, fever etc. I cant even get help for the PANDAS kid I have how would I even go about finding someone who could look at a possible connection. Although my PANDAS child is rough, my 10 year old is a nightmare. I do not medicate her and dont want to unless I have ruled out every other theory. Is PANDAS likely in siblings?

Yes, PANDAS is VERY common in siblings!
If you post to the PANDAS/PITANDS forum you'll get a lot of help and support in figuring out what is going on.
http://www.latitudes...hp?showforum=17

Edited by peglem, 26 January 2012 - 09:32 PM.

-Peggy, mom to 19yo PANDAS daughter w/ onset probably in infancy. Manifests w/ severe autism symptoms and currently nonverbal.

#3 t_mom

t_mom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,220 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 03:57 AM

As Peglem noted, it definitely runs in families--some families at least!

If I were you, I would try to see if there is a treatment effect with a 30 day course of antibiotics.

Having dealt with this for 4 years ourselves, I can understand your concerns re: medications.
Though at times, I wonder if the fear that holds us back -- is actually holding out kids back from a normal childhood?

I have often thought of the frog in the pot of slowly heating water...he never realizes it is in full boil until too late.
Our experience when we have waited to TRY to treat, has robbed us all.

#4 ptcgirl

ptcgirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 05:57 PM

As Peglem noted, it definitely runs in families--some families at least!

If I were you, I would try to see if there is a treatment effect with a 30 day course of antibiotics.

Having dealt with this for 4 years ourselves, I can understand your concerns re: medications.
Though at times, I wonder if the fear that holds us back -- is actually holding out kids back from a normal childhood?

I have often thought of the frog in the pot of slowly heating water...he never realizes it is in full boil until too late.
Our experience when we have waited to TRY to treat, has robbed us all.

I can so relate to that analogy. My child has Pandas and I was SO worried about treatment that we did everything else. Now, five years later we are finally getting to the bottom of it. Fear and lack of knowledge. Awful.

#5 qannie47

qannie47

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 06:09 PM

HI, I have a son who has Pandas, and a son whom is borderline adhd (no meds) and on the ODD side of the fence.  I have for the past 4 weeks applied Howard Glasser's, Transforming the difficult child, the Nurtured Heart Approach....it has worked wonders...especially for my ODD child.  I promise it comes with insights and techniques that will change your world.  It comes in an audio version as well.  I watched it, applied it, and within two days, saw results...My kids have flunked out of every other behavior mod program for 3 years now...This one works...pm me if you would like....qannie

Born 12/2005  Age 3, Scarlet fever>no fever, throat pain, only headache/neck pain/rash.  Chronic idiopathic joint pain in knee started after Scarlet fever (never made the connection).  + RLS.  4/2012 > 1st overnight onset of Panda symptoms  after first round of abx>diag possible sydenhams Chorea after 2nd post strep test>6wks (3 rounds of abx)  to clear strep>then 100% remission after neg strep test. (3 year joint pain/RLS went away & has never returned)  >diagnosed Pandas Dr. K 6/2012>100% symptom free for 3 months.   10/2012 lost tooth/strep exposure? Overnight appearance of symptoms, mild compared to 1st episode, rate it a 6 on severity scale>abx 2 weeks>100% remission for 2 1/2 months. 1/2013 Pandas overnight onset of symptoms again>no strep but Tonsillitis for 6 weeks>6wks of abx>cleared then went into 2 week stomach flu (not symptomatic with flu)>ER for dehydration> recovered>immediate relapse of Panda symptoms>rate episode 6>20 days of abx w/only 70% improvement. 6/2013 IVIG>within days 100% remission>aprox 12 weeks symptom free. 9/2013 Strep/stomach flu exposure>3 days later, 6pm sudden relapse of symptoms explosion, rate it 10 severity> 3 week episode>new symptoms include high rage, rapid cycling> abx full strength 500 2x day>day 9 some diminishing of symptoms for last 2 1/2 days.>10/16/2013 fingers crossed  MRI/EEG/aso/anti dnase B all normal. waiting for lp results:11/2013 LP REVEALED 2 WELL DEFINED O BANDS: INDICATIVE OF AUTOIMMUNE DISORDER

#6 mar

mar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 10:38 PM

I am interested! Please pm me with any info.

Mar

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users