• Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Google Plus
  • Youtube
  • youtube

Existing forum users need to log into the forums and website with their email address and password. Become a premium member to access enhanced forum features and visit our online store to view our products.
Special Offer: Free 1 Month Trial of our Premium Membership!

The ACN Latitudes Premium Membership provides access to over 80 premium health articles on neurological conditions along with an exclusive premium newsletter. In addition, you will have several enhanced forum features, which include helpful perks such as: no advertisements, live chat room, forum blogging, increased messaging storage, and much more! Your Premium Membership also helps to support the efforts of our non-profit organization. Start Your Free Trial!

ACN Latitudes Premium Membership

ACN Latitudes Premium Membership
Photo
- - - - -

PANDAS and rheumatic heart disease

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kiera

kiera

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 02:02 PM

Just wondering for those of you who've seen the expert PANDAS Drs, with initial visit, do they have your child checked for effects on the heart? Is it common to have rheumatic heart affects as well as brain affects? Is it part of an initial evaluation to check for strep effects there? Thanks.

#2 eljomom

eljomom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 02:10 PM

Never been suggested to us, although I do wonder. My father-in-law had it, and it caused enough damage to give him a massive heart attack at age 41, and died at 44.

#3 Worried_Dad

Worried_Dad

Advanced Member

• Premium
  • PipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 02:45 PM

Our ds had both an electrocardiogram and echocardiogram at different times to check for this. Thankfully, everything tested normal.

Edited by Worried Dad, 20 September 2011 - 04:36 PM.

#4 amyslp

amyslp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 02:53 PM

My daughter saw Dr. Latimer initially & we were set up with her colleague the day after (b/c we were in town from NY)to r/o RF. Her biggest concern was that we believe my daughter went at least 2 months with undiagnosed strep based on her med history. Didn't sound like this was routine at the time (that was 3 yrs ago) & fortunately my daughter's heart was unaffected.

Amy
Allison, age 8, dx. PANDAS at age 4 after 6 months of chronic strep infection and EBV
Jillian, age 5, dx. PANDAS at age 3 initially after impetigo.
Myself, my sisters, my father and my paternal grandmother all with symtoms consistent with PANDAS/OCD

#5 amyjoy

amyjoy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • Interests:CURE OUR CHILDREN

Posted 21 September 2011 - 01:31 PM

in our office where we've seen around 15 -20 pandas kids this past year, we haven't found rheumatic heart disease in a single one. i was thinking about that recently. we were originally worried about that with my son's PANDAS because one of his pediatricians thought he heard a heart murmur but his heart is fine and no one else ever heard the murmur. i wonder also about potential kidney damage that can come from rheumatic fever, but haven't seen that either, except one person.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users