• Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Google Plus
  • Youtube
  • youtube

Existing forum users need to log into the forums and website with their email address and password. Become a premium member to access enhanced forum features and visit our online store to view our products.
Natural Treatments for Tics and Tourette's - A Patient and Family Guide

Our helpful guide is a #1 bestselling book on tics and Tourette's. This 365-page book explains how to treat tics using natural and alternative therapies, from nutritional, behavioral and counseling therapies, EEG biofeedback, and homeopathy to bodywork, energy medicine, and Chinese medicine. This Book offers advice from medical experts, a common tic triggers checklist, inspirational family stories, practical worksheets, and takeaway tips for the help that you need. Learn more

Stop Tics Today - Find the real causes to find the cures

ACN Latitudes Premium Membership

Photo
- - - - -

Chemar, question for you....

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 trggirl

trggirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 11:03 AM

Chemar, I know that you have mentioned that your son had tourettic OCD. My daughter has to say in her head "Ready, set, go" over and over before she does ANYTHING. For example, if she is doing a worksheet, she has to say it numerous times with each problem before she starts the problem. It will take us 2 hours to get through a worksheet when it should be taking 30 minutes. She can't stop it and it is really interfering with her ability to function. Is this tourettic OCD? Do you have any suggestions on what might help with this?

#2 Wombat140

Wombat140

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 02:07 PM

(Know this is addressed to Chemar but anyway.)
Still trying to find out myself what would help! Couldn't really say whether it sounds like Tourettic OCD or not without more information. Does she have any reason for doing it (afraid something will happen if she doesn't)? If so it seems like fairly classical OCD. Otherwise, well, it might be. Here's a link to Charles Mansueto's original article on Tourettic OCD, see what you think.
All the best,
Wombat140

Edited by Wombat140, 20 October 2010 - 02:09 PM.

Born 1990. Always had slight Asperger's traits but got along fine. Severe OCD struck almost overnight in 2003. Varied randomly from month to month since then, almost gone once or twice, but never completely. Very bad indeed since spring 2012 and shows no signs of improving.

Symptoms: all sorts of things (written words, smells, things people say) mysteriously "will not do" and require a compulsion to be done before I can go on. No obsessions - in that way, and in physical nature, the rituals are almost like tics except that they're always a response to something particular. Extreme sensitivity to particular sounds, although that comes and goes over months.

Wondered if it might be PANDAS - in August 2012 I finally managed to locate a doctor who knows about it. Tried Azithromycin, co-amoxiclav (Augmentin) and tinidazole, but to no clear effect. No test results as yet - fluffed three attempts to get blood sample taken.

Have now been seeing homoeopath since summer 2013.  Results have been mixed, there have been definite improvements at times but they haven't lasted.  No luck at all for the last few months - in fact, since this month's remedy (Aug 2014) things are noticeably worse.

#3 chemar

chemar

Advanced Member

• Premium
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,042 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 02:30 PM

Hi
yes, what you are describing does sound like OCD

Tourettic OCD is a term used to describe the OCD associated with Tourette Syndrome, where sometimes tics can become obsessive or compulsive, or where OCD behaviors can become tics.
The "have to", "just right" and "or else something bad may happen" etc seen with so called classic OCD CAN also be present with tourettic OCD, so that is not a distinction. In fact, from our observance of both my hubby and son's tourettic OCD, it manifests with many of the same criteria as "classic" OCD, the only difference being the "morphing" of OCD symptoms into tics and tics becoming OCD-like

Just as with classic OCD, treatment is centered primarily in CBT techniques (cognitive behavioral therapy) as well as on elevating serotonin, which seems to reduce the OCD symptoms

my son currently uses foods high in serotonin and inositol to help, in addition to drinking lemon balm tea, and also the aromatherapy of pure jasmine oil.

there are various supplements that are also used like inositol, tryptophan, 5HTP, methionine, samE and even st John's Wort

HTH

When life brings you to your knees....you're in a good position to pray!

click here for: The Treatments that have Helped My Son

click here for the Helpful Threads on Tourette/Tics

* Focus on the light at the end of the tunnel.*

#4 trggirl

trggirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 05:37 PM

Thank you Wombat140 and Chemar! I will check out the links and try to decide what supplement to try!

#5 4Jack

4Jack

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 07:39 PM

Thank you so much Wombat for posting this article on Tourettic OCD. This is my son to a "T". I have been asking my son's neurologist, pediatrician, and psychologist to distinguish between the two and have not yet gotten a satisfactory answer. His neurologist dx him with TS and OCD behaviors but his psychologist sees none of the OCD because he does not have the underlying obsessive thoughts or anxieties. I always thought the neurologist erroniously dx with OCD because his tic at the time involved vocal counting. It makes sense it was a compulsive element of his tics. I have learned more on this site than from any of the many doctors we have seen.

#6 Wombat140

Wombat140

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 01:16 PM

I'm so glad it helped. Pass it on if need be, won't you? It seems to be a rather little-known phenomenon. I was very surprised a few weeks ago to see someone on a mainstream OCD forum mentioning it - apart from here, I'd never seen anyone mention it before except me! It's easy to find the article again if you lose it, anyway - the combination of the words "Mansueto" and "Tourettic" is pretty distinctive for a Web search!
Isn't it funny how many apparently unrelated things go with "Tourettic OCD"? The sensitivity to clothes, and so on. I suppose that's good circumstantial evidence that it really is a distinct type.

Born 1990. Always had slight Asperger's traits but got along fine. Severe OCD struck almost overnight in 2003. Varied randomly from month to month since then, almost gone once or twice, but never completely. Very bad indeed since spring 2012 and shows no signs of improving.

Symptoms: all sorts of things (written words, smells, things people say) mysteriously "will not do" and require a compulsion to be done before I can go on. No obsessions - in that way, and in physical nature, the rituals are almost like tics except that they're always a response to something particular. Extreme sensitivity to particular sounds, although that comes and goes over months.

Wondered if it might be PANDAS - in August 2012 I finally managed to locate a doctor who knows about it. Tried Azithromycin, co-amoxiclav (Augmentin) and tinidazole, but to no clear effect. No test results as yet - fluffed three attempts to get blood sample taken.

Have now been seeing homoeopath since summer 2013.  Results have been mixed, there have been definite improvements at times but they haven't lasted.  No luck at all for the last few months - in fact, since this month's remedy (Aug 2014) things are noticeably worse.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users