ACN Latitudes Forums

fifth's disease

I was just cruising and found an article on www.suite101.com about the human parvo virus b19. Molecular mimicry,neuro/ bipolar effects, autoimmune.... very curious. My dd had fifth's disease several years ago. Just another Possible cause?????

My son's bloodwork shows he's had it, but I had no clue he'd had it! I believe yes, everything contributes.

My dd had exacerbations (while on antibiotics) with both fifth's and H1N1. So, I don't know if it is so much a cause, but any illness (viral etc.) can cause an increase in PANDAS symptoms. For us, I've especially noticed that illnesses where she gets a fever causes increased symptoms. Maybe the fever opens up the BBB?

Reading this article (I don't know if it's the same one you read), I am just sick to my stomach because my dh just started with thyroid problems (extremely high anti-thyroid antibodies, whatever they are called).

The title of it is: Human Parvovirus B19 Infection - Autoimmune Disease Trigger

http://www.suite101.com/content/human-parvovirus-b19-infection-a17818

Edited by mati's mom

My PANDAS son reacted very strongly when his sister had fifths disesase - he hasn't had it, but he still reacted to her.

I bet he had it himself but was assymptomatic. http://www.itsamomsworld.com/school_age_health_fifth_disease.html

Fifth Disease of Children

Children between the ages of five and 15 are most likely to be affected by this virus, although any person of any age can get the virus. Studies have shown, though, that at least 50% of the adult population has the parvovirus, yet most cannot recollect having any symptoms of the infection. Therefore, most experts believe that the majority of people will experience very mild symptoms or even be asymptomatic.