ACN Latitudes Forums

time release melatonin?

I am sorry for asking more questions. I am curious if there are any melatonin supplements that are time release? Ian is going on 9, all of 60 pounds and does ok on 1mg, but more is too much for him. He tends to do ok if I give him one about 1/2 hour before bed, which is around 8:30. But he tends to wake up a couple of hours later and he is a mess. Crying, needs to watch his Nook (netflix) to settle down, etc. A few times I have given him another 1mg melatonin right then and he soon will sleep with no issue within 20 minutes. So I am wondering if there is a good supplement for children that is time release. He has bed time issues with sleep and will be up to 11 or later otherwise. He can swallow small pills, but something the melts or under the tongue would be great.

TIA! Lisa

Hi - there is a spray that is time release. I know it sounds counter-intuitive but the droplets are nano coated or some such. Our local Wholefoods carries it and it is by Source Naturals, I believe. It won't keep my kids asleep but no amount of melatonin will but I believe other folks have good success with it.....

It does contain a preservative I think which the tablets won't have, if that is an issue......

I am sorry for asking more questions. I am curious if there are any melatonin supplements that are time release? Ian is going on 9, all of 60 pounds and does ok on 1mg, but more is too much for him. He tends to do ok if I give him one about 1/2 hour before bed, which is around 8:30. But he tends to wake up a couple of hours later and he is a mess. Crying, needs to watch his Nook (netflix) to settle down, etc. A few times I have given him another 1mg melatonin right then and he soon will sleep with no issue within 20 minutes. So I am wondering if there is a good supplement for children that is time release. He has bed time issues with sleep and will be up to 11 or later otherwise. He can swallow small pills, but something the melts or under the tongue would be great.

TIA! Lisa

When I was reading reviews of Magnesium, lots of people said it helped them sleep. At least 1 person recommended it with melatonin. So that is something else you could try, adding in Magmesium at night (something like Natural Calm).

I take melatonin, and was going to try adding in some Magnesium myself. :)

PS If you give Magnesium, you need to separate it from your abs by a few hours, for certain abs like Azith .

I was using time release with my son and I believe it worked because he slept through the night but had trouble waking up in the morning. It work well for your son, though, so I would give it a try. The problem is going to be finding one that is 1 mg. The drops sound like a good idea.

My son now uses both melatonin and valerian root at night and we have not had any night waking. Just another thought.

Keep us posted!

We tried time-release melatonin with my DS; unfortunately, the problem for him was that he didn't get enough of it "up front" to fall asleep reasonably soon after going to bed, which had always sort of been our challenge. So we went back to the regular type.

For a while, we used a melatonin/magnesium blend by Kirkman; they told us that the magnesium also helped calm and inspire a restful state. It worked well, but not so much better than the brand that I can get down the street, so I stopped ordering it.