ACN Latitudes Forums

NEED TO KNOW IF YOUR CHILD EXHIBITED COPROLALIA

I would say "yes" as with this latest episode, our oldest daughter has constant intrusive thoughts (swearing against God is what she says.) Intrusive thoughts which she cannot turn off and which she says she gets no rest from all day long.

The result is not that she speaks the swear words, but that she is constantly carrying on personal dialogue under her breath in confessing, or trying to say the opposite to her thoughts.

It LOOKS and SOUNDS like tourettes at home. At school she controls the utterances, but the intrusive thoughts are present constantly and get in the way of concentration, focus, etc.

During my son's last ACUTE episode, he first exhibited coprolalia. I realize that this is mostly seen in TS. I need to know if any of your definite PANDAS kids had coprolalia?

phasmid -- i believe yes, my son exhibited a form of coprolalia. he was 4 1/2 at onset and that is mostly when it was. one thing i am unsure about is with coprolalia -- do they say things they have never heard? i had once heard that. my son did not come up with things he had never heard. but i believe he was using the worst words he knew at the time. had he known others, i think he would have used them. once he stood on the porch searching his mind for something -- when i write that, it sounds like just a mad kid - but it wasn't, it was different. he was very hyper in a shoe store and was running around yelling "butt, butt, poop". dh carried him out with the unpaid for shoes on. now, it's comical - at the time, i was simply in awe of what was happening in our lives. i think this was just before we even heard of pandas. it did not seem like he did it as a tic, it was more in a hyper wild state. he really didn't have tics. at the time, i said he had none. now that i know better, he had some things that could probably be classified as such. one time for about 2 minutes, he had rapid eye blinking. other times, it's been things that would be hard to decipher if they're tics or mindless habits.

My DD14 experienced coprolalia for a few months after trying Riluzole for OCD in 2008. It was quite bad and very embarrassing for her. She was saying things she would NEVER EVER say. She was so distraught by this she started isolating herself in her room and refused to do much of anything. It nearly broke my heart. Within 10 weeks of her first HD IVIg infusion the coprolalia was 100% gone and thankfully never came back.

Edited by NancyD

Yes. He's young, so the words he would be compulsed to say were things like poop, butt, penis. He'd be talking about something and then some sentence would come out w/ one of these words in them that was not part of the conversation.

He's been slipping on prof abx and he actually did this yesterday.

His primary presentation and symptoms of PANDAS were not tics but separation anxiety, anger/irritibility/rages and ocd's. He developed motor and verbal tics about a yr after first exacerbation, right before his diagnosis. They went away w/ abx.

Cindy

Edited by nicklemama

My definite PANDAS child (age 11) does exhibit this. Not true profanity- but we hear " idiot" "fat" "overweight" "fatty-head" and other insults randomly and repeadtedly. Thankfully I have never heard it outside the family- of course beign homeschooled and suffering from PANDAS- there is not much outside the family these days.

It is out of character completely and often she seem unaware of what was even said.

Yes.. I have seen it. Not often... but I've seen it. When he was little it was incessant potty talk (to the point of other parents at preschool complaining to the owner). Now he does things under his breath or says words that are 'close' to swear words - then tries to turn it into a joke. But the worst was twice in the last couple of months during exacerbation / rages he used the F word - once with me / once with his Dad. After using it with me he cried and apologized and went into a full -blown panic attack because the word came out without him controlling it. He was actually scared by his own lack of control and said he felt like he was watching it happen. It was a very sad and scary day.

One more thing to add.. both our PANDAS doctor and a PANDAS aware & PANDAS friendly psychiatrist seemed not suprised at all that she had this symptom. They both seperately called it coprolalia and deemed it, not suprisingly, a facet of her PANDAS- which otherwise consists of very typical OCD (counting, intrusive thought) and small fine motor tics and facial tics.

Oh my goodness. It is indeed scary to watch. His stopped as soon as he went on flagyl/vanomycin, but that was the first sign of anything in five years! Well, at least obvious stuff. I didn't know all the rest of his issues were related at the time! :wacko:

But I am willing to share a funny story about my son's episode then. I hope y'all can get a good laugh - Lord knows, we all need it. My son had started the f... word overnight. I knew what was coming, so I quick got my mom in the car after we had christmas at our house and drove her 300 miles back home so not to subject her to the h... that was to come. Sure enough, the next few days it escalated from a whispered "f...", to louder, and louder, then he added "what the f..." and "f...ing.... something or other" , and then finally to yelling "what the f..." out loud. Of course he was NOT at school. We took him out on a home contract. So, one day i have a handyman working on the stove in the kitchen. My instructions to my son were to stay upstairs, but of course he came downstairs, into the kitchen, and out comes

"WHAT THE F---!"

The poor guy just about dropped his tools. He looked at me and all I could do was laugh hysterically, which made the guy think I was a lunatic!!!!!! I don't recall if I explained or not. I think I laughed so hard I had to go change my pants!!

Oh gosh!! lol... In answer to your first post - yes. Not actual cursing words as she doesn't know any; however, she will say things in episode that she would NEVER say, no way! She is horrified the times she has remembered some of the episodes and it's heart-wrenching. She will say things like, "LIAR!!!" or "I'm going to kill you" in that deep, guttural voice that is not at all like her own.

As for your most recent post on this thread... lol... thank you for the chuckle and I have often thought recently that we need to start a thread here that "You might be a PANDAS/PITAND parent if... ahhh... the life we lead. Sometimes, I have to laugh too... it's either that or cry.

As for your most recent post on this thread... lol... thank you for the chuckle and I have often thought recently that we need to start a thread here that "You might be a PANDAS/PITAND parent if... ahhh... the life we lead. Sometimes, I have to laugh too... it's either that or cry.

We actually had this exact post a couple of months ago but I don't think you were posting yet.. Here it is if you want to get a laugh and add to it!

http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=11068&st=0&p=93488&fromsearch=1entry93488

Thanks Kim! I found it and posted. It must have been started during my hiatus for those few months when she got better after the t/a, before she caught what I refer to as the never-ending strep infection in spring 2010.