So apparently some companies sell "Turmeric" and it's just the seasoning put into capsules.
According to the websites I've read, including Dr. Weil's, you want to get Turmeric that is standardized to at least 95% curcuminoids. So check the labels. The first Turmeric I bought just said:
Turmeric - 500mg
I think it was just
turmeric without much Curcumin, which is actually the effective substance in Turmeric.
Be aware, also, that some products will have labels that look like this:
Turmeric - 500mg
Turmeric Extract - 50mg
(standardized to 95% curcuminoids) - 47.5mg
So what that means is that there is 550mg total of stuff in the pills. 500mg is just Turmeric (likely not very helpful) and while it says it is standardized to 95% curcuminoids, that only refers to the second ingredient which is 50mg of Turmeric. Does that make sense? It's sort of misleading. You see the label and think "cool, 550mg of Tumeric, standardized to 95%." Except it's not. Only the second 50mg is standardized to 95%.
I ended up getting some at Vitamin Shoppe which is 900mg per pill, and all 900mg is standarized to 95% Curcumin (855mg, which is indicated on the label).
It also contains 5mg of black pepper (Piperine) standardized to 95% (so 4.75mg).
The addition of black pepper supposedly makes Curcumin like 1000% more bioavailable.
However, it seems that even taking one pill a day of this (with food) is giving me some intestinal disturbance 3-6 hours later. I may try emptying half the capsule and seeing if a small dose works better. 900mg is a pretty big dose. The label even says "triple strength."
I will update this thread later when I figure out what is going on.Cliffs Notes on Turmeric/Curcumin
- Curcumin is the active substance in Turmeric that supposedly has the anti-inflammatory properties
- Get Turmeric that is standardized to at least 95% curcumin
- Make sure you check the label to see exactly how much is standardized. Is it the entire dosage? Or is it just a small percentage of the overall dosage?
- A little black pepper (this may be called "Piperine" on the label) added to the pill = better bioavailibility (supposedly)
- Take it with food
- Dr. Weil recommends 500mg 3 times a day. Start small and work up. Don't exceed that dose.
Edited by guy123, 11 January 2012 - 12:32 PM.