ACN Latitudes Forums

ordering probiotics in the summer

I was about to order some probiotics on Amazon...and I had this weird thought about how hot it's been all over the US. I don't know where they are coming from, but I assume USPS and UPS trucks (and warehouses?) aren't all air-conditioned.

What does everyone think? better to buy a smaller stash from Whole foods (is that better?) and wait until cooler weather to stock up on the online stuff?

EAMom --

I had the same concerns last summer, and it wasn't nearly as hot as it is now. I know that some manufacturers (I think KlaireLabs, for one? -- it was the company that was strongly represented at the Autism One conference, but I haven't ordered from them in quite a while) won't even ship probiotics during the summer, irrespective of the actual temperature. So it got me thinking that, even if the company WILL ship, that doesn't mean they SHOULD ship, you know?

So, I went down to our local Vitamin Shoppe (usually a little less expensive than Whole Paycheck, and they have refrigeration, too, for their probiotics) and bought our provisions.

It might all be a roll of the dice, to be honest. Who knows how long the little guys sit in warehouses or on warm trucks, waiting to be sent to their final destination? I guess I just feel a little safer not specifically REQUIRING that they spend an extra couple of days on a dock or in a truck! :P

EAMom --

I had the same concerns last summer, and it wasn't nearly as hot as it is now. I know that some manufacturers (I think KlaireLabs, for one? -- it was the company that was strongly represented at the Autism One conference, but I haven't ordered from them in quite a while) won't even ship probiotics during the summer, irrespective of the actual temperature. So it got me thinking that, even if the company WILL ship, that doesn't mean they SHOULD ship, you know?

So, I went down to our local Vitamin Shoppe (usually a little less expensive than Whole Paycheck, and they have refrigeration, too, for their probiotics) and bought our provisions.

It might all be a roll of the dice, to be honest. Who knows how long the little guys sit in warehouses or on warm trucks, waiting to be sent to their final destination? I guess I just feel a little safer not specifically REQUIRING that they spend an extra couple of days on a dock or in a truck! :P

Okay, my gut instincts were right. I'll wait until I'm totally out and get some stuff from the vitamin shoppe to hold me over if needed.

Which ones do you order? I ordered Jarrow Saccharomyces Boulardii yesterday from amazon. ( I was running out of florstar and decided to save $$ now that both kids are on abx)

I had the same thought but figured they wouldnt ship if it would get ruined and perhaps I was just being paranoid.

I know I should rotate so I throw in some Culterelle sometimes and some Ultimate Flora 50 Billion. Then sometimes she takes pearls. Not really sure what I am doing and would love to hear what you all do.

Which ones do you order? I ordered Jarrow Saccharomyces Boulardii yesterday from amazon. ( I was running out of florstar and decided to save $$ now that both kids are on abx)

I had the same thought but figured they wouldnt ship if it would get ruined and perhaps I was just being paranoid.

I know I should rotate so I throw in some Culterelle sometimes and some Ultimate Flora 50 Billion. Then sometimes she takes pearls. Not really sure what I am doing and would love to hear what you all do.

Hi minimaxwell,

yes, I give the Jarrow Sac. Boulardi and I also have some I. flora kids http://www.amazon.com/iFlora-Probiotics-Kids-Ounces-Powder/dp/B000FLLUDK/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1341800431&sr=1-1&keywords=i+flora+kids

I have acidophilus pearls in my fridge by dd won't take them (I have to mix her probiotics into food like smoothies...she doesn't know I do it).

I was also going to order

1) Nutricology Gastroflora--lactobacillus acidophilus, l. rhamnosus, l. casei, and bifidobacterium longum http://www.amazon.com/Nutricology-Gastro-Flora-Vegicaps-90-Count/dp/B00014FLW2/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1341799902&sr=1-1&keywords=nutricology+gastro+flora

2) Source Naturals Dura Flora (note: I think the amazon description is for another product, for weight loss!)---bacilus coagulans http://www.amazon.com/Source-Naturals-Flora-Billion-Capsules/dp/B001FWXTZ0

I decided I should be scientific and (per the CNN article) try to get as many as the probiotics (maybe rotating, not necessarily giving everything every day) that were good for immunity (so less infections) and for those on abs.

There were:

those on abs:

1) s. Cervisaie Boulardi (sac. boulardi)

2)Lactobacilus rhamnosus

3) bacillus coagulans

For immunity:

1) L. casei

2) L. rhamnosus (same as above?)

3) L. acidophillus

here's a link to the CNN article http://edition.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/03/10/healthmag.probiotics.stomach/index.html

it is kind of confusing!

Edited by EAMom

Whenever I order probiotics in summer they are packed on ice and shipped via overnight delivery.

Don't know if amazon does that! Where do you get yours from? I'm not totally out, so I can wait for cooler weather.

I doubt Amazon would pack with ice. I order Theralac from my doctor's office (Ken Bock, MD) and they ship all probiotics on ice. Not SBC though because I don't think that has to be refrigerated. And when I used to purchase Bifido Factor from Natren they always shipped on ice. Both places even in winter.

I think Natren used to say on their website that they shipped on ice. It was REALLY well packed and I believe they suggested on their website shipping by overnight delivery in summer. I used to order for a few months at a time.

I just checked the Natren site and it says: "*A small P&H fee of $12.95 will be added for refrigeration packaging materials."

I wouldn't ship probiotics in summer unless you know it will be packed on ice.

Whenever I order probiotics in summer they are packed on ice and shipped via overnight delivery.

Don't know if amazon does that! Where do you get yours from? I'm not totally out, so I can wait for cooler weather.

Edited by NancyD

I get mine from Klaire and they routinely ship with an ice pack. There is an additional $10 fee to ship probiotics so I usually stock up when I order. I ordered some just a few weeks ago and they came with the ice pack which was completely melted and only slightly cold but the bottles weren't warm either so I don't believe they had been melted long. Just wanted to add for information purposes. Thanks.

dedee