ACN Latitudes Forums

Quercetin and Antibiotics - Looking for Opinions

swim

I have seen a lot of you are using quercetin as a natural anti-inflamatory. We are in the middle of a PANDAS flare up and I was thinking of trying this to help reduce the tics, but then I saw some info that researchers think it may interfere with antibiotics. Maybe they are not referring to the antibiotics we are using for PANDAS. We are currently using keflex. Has anyone heard about quercetin reducing the effectiveness of antibiotics or has anyone seen a negative result after trying quercetin?

I have seen a lot of you are using quercetin as a natural anti-inflamatory. We are in the middle of a PANDAS flare up and I was thinking of trying this to help reduce the tics, but then I saw some info that researchers think it may interfere with antibiotics. Maybe they are not referring to the antibiotics we are using for PANDAS. We are currently using keflex. Has anyone heard about quercetin reducing the effectiveness of antibiotics or has anyone seen a negative result after trying quercetin?

Can you share a link with this research?

We've been using quercitin for some time now, along with antibiotics (in our case, Augmentin XR), and don't believe that there's any reduction in efficacy. Then again, we've been using them concurrently for so long, if it is just a matter, perhaps, of reducing the efficacy rather than voiding it entirely, I don't know that we'd know the difference! Now I'm curious. :huh:

Can you share a link with this research?

We've been using quercitin for some time now, along with antibiotics (in our case, Augmentin XR), and don't believe that there's any reduction in efficacy. Then again, we've been using them concurrently for so long, if it is just a matter, perhaps, of reducing the efficacy rather than voiding it entirely, I don't know that we'd know the difference! Now I'm curious. :huh:

I don't have anything very scientific - just a mention about it on wikipedia and there was one other site that I can't find again right now. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quercetin I have a few supplement books and they only say good things with no mention about interfering with antibiotics. After everything else I read, we went ahead and decided to give quercetin a try starting tonight. The first capsule is in, so here we go ... fingers crossed as usual with all this stuff ... :unsure:

Hey Swim --

I Googled the issue and, like you, I found a couple of mentions that quercetin is thought to have some impact on a limited class of antibiotics, but I didn't see mention of the three primary ones most frequently cited here for PANDAS kids: Augmentin, Azith or Biaxin. And when I searched the interaction information for the abx themselves, I didn't come across any warnings, either, so I'm thinking it's probably not an issue? I know the different classes of abx have entirely different mechanisms of attacking infections, so, presumably, there's a risk only if the mechanism itself is hampered by the supplement.

Like I said, we've been using quercetin for over a year because our DS has substantial environmental allergies, and during allergy seasons, especially, his sneezing and congestion goes off the charts and complicates his whole PANDAS picture. The quercetin has made a huge difference. For him, it's like a natural antihistamine.

Nancy,

Would you mind sharing what brand you use? I have seen so many out there (like at whole foods) many with other ingredients, and have seen querciplex. How would I dose that for dd 8 55 lbs? And that is only symptomatic use right? And can I open the capsule and put in food that you know of? Thanks!

Nancy,

Would you mind sharing what brand you use? I have seen so many out there (like at whole foods) many with other ingredients, and have seen querciplex. How would I dose that for dd 8 55 lbs? And that is only symptomatic use right? And can I open the capsule and put in food that you know of? Thanks!

We use a brand called "QBC Complex" from the Vitamin Shoppe; it combines quercetin, bromelaine and Vitamin C into a single capsule. The capsules contain 500 mg. of quercitin, and we're giving our DS13, 140 lbs. 1,000 mg. in the morning and another 500 mg. at night; we're not adding any other Vitamin C, though. Yes, for us it is symptomatic use predominantly, though it is supposed to be anti-inflammatory also and Vitamin C is supposed to accompany NAC, which we're also giving, so we continue with the QBC even outside of allergy season, per se. The biggest benefit I notice with it, though, is his lack of sneezing. Pre-quercetin, he'd have these jags -- especially in the morning -- of sneezing 15, 20 times in the space of an hour! The quercitin has completely quieted that.

I would think you could break the capsules open and sprinkle it in food, though we've never tried. They smell sort of "acidy-grassy" (how's that for a description? :P ), so it might be best in something like applesauce or something like that.

Hey Swim --

I Googled the issue and, like you, I found a couple of mentions that quercetin is thought to have some impact on a limited class of antibiotics, but I didn't see mention of the three primary ones most frequently cited here for PANDAS kids: Augmentin, Azith or Biaxin. And when I searched the interaction information for the abx themselves, I didn't come across any warnings, either, so I'm thinking it's probably not an issue? I know the different classes of abx have entirely different mechanisms of attacking infections, so, presumably, there's a risk only if the mechanism itself is hampered by the supplement.

Like I said, we've been using quercetin for over a year because our DS has substantial environmental allergies, and during allergy seasons, especially, his sneezing and congestion goes off the charts and complicates his whole PANDAS picture. The quercetin has made a huge difference. For him, it's like a natural antihistamine.

Hi Nancy ~ Thanks for your reply. Your conclusion was the same as mine - the only mention I found of quercetin affecting antibiotics relates to classes of antibiotics that we are not using for our kids. I really appreciate your feedback! Keri (aka swim) :D