ACN Latitudes Forums

allergies and tics

mom love

I've seen posts here and there about how allergies can trigger or exacerbate tics. I have seen some using quercitin and other things.

I'm wondering if allergies aren't contributing/triggering to my dd's tic and would like to try something allergy related to try to help her. Any contributions would be appreciated. dd is 55 pounds and cannot swallow pills yet. Dosing amounts would be helpful as well. Her nose is itchy (not sure how much is allergy and how much is tic) so anything for nose could help too. Thanks

I've seen posts here and there about how allergies can trigger or exacerbate tics. I have seen some using quercitin and other things.

I'm wondering if allergies aren't contributing/triggering to my dd's tic and would like to try something allergy related to try to help her. Any contributions would be appreciated. dd is 55 pounds and cannot swallow pills yet. Dosing amounts would be helpful as well. Her nose is itchy (not sure how much is allergy and how much is tic) so anything for nose could help too. Thanks

Hello

the exact same thing happens to my son, allergies make the tics worse. i read somewhere that high histamine levels can be a neuro trigger. I would be happy to share some things we have found work for him but of course i have no idea if it will work for your dd. quercitin can work if you give it every day consistently because it has to build up in the system and this can take as much as a couple of weeks. we have used a product called D-Hist Jr (it has quercitin as well as other supports like nettles etc), and also, while i don't necessarily like using "drugs", when all else fails, benedryl helps the tics during these times tremendously and believe it or not, we have found that ibuprofen really can take the edge off the tics, i think because with PANDAS kids the tics are inflammatory. One more thing we have found that can help the tics at night (when they seem to be the worst) is a combination of herbs either in a tincture called valerian complex b a.vogel (valerian and hops) or something called myocalm by metagenics (valerian and passaflora and cal and mag). one last thing that helps alot and we always use during a flare is magnesium citrate powder in a product called natural calm by a company called peter gillham. there is a natural calm kids as well. magnesium has strong muscle relaxing properties, and calming for the nervous system.

again i'm just sharing what works for my son, but i hope it gives you some ideas.

good luck and many blessings

amy

i have nothing helpful to say except we are experiencing the same thing right now. from mid-August until it snows (late October) we struggle with an increase in all PANDAS symptoms. the tics are the most noticeable, but disturbing OCD thoughts & struggling emotionally are also a problem. we've just been using zyrtec, but i really don't think it helps much. i know benadryl does, but i hate to give it to him very often because it does make him tired.

We just started being treated for seasonal nasal allergies. Our pediatrician said his type of allergy isn't creating a hystamine response - so an antihystamine wouldn't be helpful. He's been on Nasonex - which is a nasal steroid. He had a 2-3 day flare up in symptoms prior to starting. He was tested negative for strep. However, at the same time, we saw Dr. Murphy, who decided to change his abx from azith to omnicef - full dose for 30 days since he had gotten strep 2x in 2 months on the azith. We started both treatments on the same day - so unfortunately I can't tell you which medicine is causing the significant improvement we've seen.

I do wonder though, since Nasonex is a type of steriod - how is it related to the type of steroids given to kids during PANDAS treatment? Hmmmmm?

We also use quercitin and have GREAT success with it. I used to give it to DD whenever I sensed the onset of a cold or allergies and now I give it to her twice daily every day at high dose. It has anti-inflammatory propoperties and we now use it instead of ibuprofin, which can be hard on the stomach. We use a product called Querciplex by Douglas Laboratories. Each supplement contains: 333 mg Quercetin, 20 mg Magnesium, and 100 mg Bromelain. You can open up the capsules and put it into grape juice with your other supplements. This is one supplement we can't be without!