ACN Latitudes Forums

Mononucleosis and Bipolar Disorder

sagepaul

My son had BP disorder and was diagnosed with Mono 6 weeks ago. While the acute symptoms have lessened, he is having some sort of delusions. Mainly about events that didn't happen in school...like fabricated stories and he has real emotional reactions to them. His BP come with psychotic features. I'm thinking the Mono has exacerbated those features.

Anyone else out there with neuropsychiatric reactions to Mono? Thanks!!!

How old is your son and how old was he when he was diagnosed BP? You'll have to excuse me but I'm going to say it outright, I am very suspicious of early onset bipolar diagnoses. My son was thought to have bipolar at age 6(started at age 5) and it turned out he has PANS instead. Treatment for PANS has resolved all of the behaviors that were attributed to BP. There are many of us here on this board with similar stories.

Although we haven't delt with mono, our daughter's PANS symptoms were caused by a lyme / bartonella infection. We would see flares, often dramatic, to other infections, both bacterial (as in strep) and viral (as in cold or flu). Treating bacteria (strep) with abx brought some relief, but symptoms would always return. It wasn't until we treated bartonella agressively that we saw this infection / flare cycle resolve. She no longer responds to infections with PANS/PANDAS symptoms

My dd14 presents like she has bipolar when she is flaring. It used to be continuous until we realized the symptoms disapeared and she became very mellow while doing prednisone bursts. She has a PANS diagnosis. So, when we see her becomming manic she gets a predisone burst. We are waiting for IVIG approval because of the dangers of constantly taking prednisone.

Just be careful to make sure no doctor puts the BP diagnosis on their chart. First, even though these kids may have features of BP during flares (I know my child does but then is calm and sweet as a peach when well). I don't believe that your average BP pt would get better with the same treatments. The reason I caution you is bc at least the way things are right now, your child would never be able to get life insurance with that diagnosis bc if high risk if suicide. This is something that a pesky insurance company has ways of digging out, even if you didn't sign a release for that dr to be questioned. Often pcps get the notes and put them in your charts. Once you sign a release that office is required full disclosure. I know this bc I work in a drs office so please be weary of that diagnosis.