ACN Latitudes Forums

VITAMIN D & CONFUSION

i do believe low vitamin D can cause trouble and you should be working with a doc on this.

i also want to make you aware that some believe adding vit D can result in a herx-like reaction.

we recently had ds tested and he was quite low -- i don't think as low as your dd, but maybe around 20. we decided to hold off b/c i have thought in the past when i have supplemented D, we have seen a ramp up in behaviors. we were adding new supps for ds, such as zinc and B6 and decided to hold off on D. we see doc again soon and will likely try to add it in now as an independent supp so we can better gauge its effect.

there is someone on this forum who believes vit D has a huge effect on her dd's neurological status -- hopefully, she will weigh in or you can try a search -- there was a discussion on this about 5-6 mths ago. i think at a recent seminar, someone - perhpas Swedo - ? suggested PANDAS kids would do better with Vit D numbers close to 50.

My DD was catastrophically low at 7. She has been on 10,000 IUs daily D3 for a few years now while we clear Lyme/Bart/MycoP. She did have herx-like reaction in the beginning but it did not last long. Her levels are now up over 60 and her PANDAS has been in remission for almost 3 years. I believe high D levels are key to her healing.

My D levels were at 30 two years ago when I started my Lyme/Bart/MycoP treatment and i have been taking 5000 IUs D3 daily since then. They are now up over 60 and I am feeling great. Been off all abx for several months -- still on supps and eat very healthy (cut out carbs, sugar, dairy).

My Lyme was acute so it was fairly easy to treat. DD was not so lucky. Hers is chronic - CD57 is still low at 20. We have to circle back to treating Bart, which as you know is more difficult to treat. When her D levels were low she got one bacterial/viral/yeast infection after another. Now she does not.

Focus on getting those D levels up much higher. D is critical to healthy functioning of your immune system.

Just found out my child is a number "11" on blood test. Doctor said the the range is between 30-100.

Could Vitamin D being so low cause confusion in our children?

My son is on a multivitamin supplement with 400IU of Vitamin D3 and I recently added a separate Vit D3 supplement of 400IU for a total daily dose of 800IU. His level has not yet been measured. Do you think it's an adequate dose? He's 9 years old and 55 pounds. He has PANDAS/PANS & Aspergers. Thanks for any input.

I really need to find o doctor who is a bit more ontop of this. I have her stable on doryx/bactrim at the moment but need to work on detox and her over health I now. Can a Dan doctor prescribe her antibiotics!! I am just excited that after 13 years I am finally seeing her get a bit better!!! I could just faint...I am so relieved! Just love this kid!!!

Vit D levels are important, especially during the school year when the kids don't always get outside between 10-2pm. The farther north you live, the more important supplementation. Lots of studies related to Vit D levels and happiness, depression, anxiety.

Also, I've read to give a vitamin D3 supplement that is combined with K2 for better absorption...which absorption is everything. There are several at Vitamin Shoppe.

I believe recommended dosage for HEALTHY kids is 2000 IUs D3 each day. Higher for those with compromised immune systems. I would get a baseline and check labs every 4-6 months.

My son is on a multivitamin supplement with 400IU of Vitamin D3 and I recently added a separate Vit D3 supplement of 400IU for a total daily dose of 800IU. His level has not yet been measured. Do you think it's an adequate dose? He's 9 years old and 55 pounds. He has PANDAS/PANS & Aspergers. Thanks for any input.

Lilly,

Yes, a DAN or integrative doctor can prescribe abx. You need to find one who has expertise in treating PANDAS/Lyme & co-infections. What part of the country do you live? I'm so happy to hear you are seeing such great progress!!

I really need to find o doctor who is a bit more ontop of this. I have her stable on doryx/bactrim at the moment but need to work on detox and her over health I now. Can a Dan doctor prescribe her antibiotics!! I am just excited that after 13 years I am finally seeing her get a bit better!!! I could just faint...I am so relieved! Just love this kid!!!