ACN Latitudes Forums

Son has turned to drugs.....

crazy

Hi everyone,

I have always been on this site to get help for my sons tics, at this point that is he has bigger troubles. My husband and I caught him smoking weed about 1 1/2 months ago. When we went through his phone it appears to have started in August. We freaked out! We took away all social privileges. We drop him off and pick him from school. We take him to practices. He has no life. We drug test him once a week and he has been clean. We just figured out he is still using drugs. He has drank my cough syrup, used Xanax and adder all and hydro that he has apparently gotten from kids at school. He says he has no desire to change. He is making our lives a living . Where do I go from here? I am a very private person and don't like involving lots of people.

• 2 weeks later...

I just want to say that my friend also had issues with her teenage son. She took him to therapy to basically make him realize this is bad and it's affecting the whole family. The therapist can talk to your son and if your son has any underlying anxiety/depression that can be treated as well. I hope that helps you!

I'm wishing you lots of success! Best of luck!

• 4 weeks later...

It may be, as mcturro pointed out, that a therapist could help. How old is your son?

It is not unusual for kids with tics to self-medicate: for self-esteem issues, to fit in with peers, wanting to take things that make them feel more socialable and less self-conscious. And as you may know, pot often helps reduce tics. So, his actions are understandable while also being a nightmare for you and your family.

I would agree on getting him -- and you--some professional help.

Help for you, for ideas on how to deal with this situation--preferably someone who knows your community.

And help for him, either to be prescribed some medications that you can hopefully control (and he could get some privileges back) and/or for him to better understand his situation--and the legal implications and consequences for what he is involved with.

It is quite possible that he is depressed or has anxiety issues, as has been suggested, and you may be in a situation where you can weigh your options with prescribed medications versus what is happening now. This is such a difficult and frustrating age to deal with when kids start into behaviors like this.

How have things been lately?