ACN Latitudes Forums

Aug/September Tics

NYDAD1214

Hello all,

New to the forums. Just wanted to share our story and hopefully someone out there is facing the same situation and could shed some light.

Our 10 year son began having eye rolls two years ago, at the end of Aug. At that time we weren't knowledgeable in tics or TS, so we went to the pediatrician who advised us they would go away, said not to worry. A month went by and then we decided to go to the eye doctor, who confirmed his eyes were perfect and that he sees this in many children. He assured us it would stop soon. Of course they didn't so we went to Neurologist in late November, who diagnosed him with evolving TS and advised we would just monitor him going forward. No to do anything. Don't even speak about it. Sounds crazy, but we followed. First week of January the eye rolls stopped. Wow, we were so happy. We thought maybe the doctors were right. Even though the eye rolls stopped, we occasionally noticed a nose scrunch.

Now we move to last year. Same time, excessive eye blinking and eye rolls begin again. Late Aug, right before school. This time we did not want to stand pat, so we did some further research oh now we could help him. We stumbled on mothers advising that diet changes really helped their children with Tic, ADHD...etc. So reluctantly he agreed to the gluten free diet. And within 2 weeks, his eye rolls were gone like magic. This was incredible and we were so sure we had cured him. We continued the GF diet and also incorporated other changes, such as only organic foods, no preservatives, no food coloring, no junk food, no excessive amounts of sugar. My wife and I also changed our diet so he didn't feel so bad. It was a great year.

Now we move to this year. Again, late Aug, right before school, the eye blinking starts again. No eye rolls, just blinking with a little twitch. Doing further research and reading all the great posts on these forums, we noticed Magnesium helped many childred so we started him on Kids Calm and magnesium oil at night before bed. After a few weeks noticed a major decrease in blinking. But this weekend the blinking ramped up again, right after his swim class. Not sure why. He did have a flu shot 3 weeks ago, right after the blinking was almost gone.

Anyone out there face a similar situation? Could this be an allergy that only comes around in the fall months? Ragweed?

Hi NYDAD2014-- I wrote a note to your other post but wanted to add something here.

Exposure to chemicals can definitely trigger eye tics, and in particular, many parents have reported an increase in tics after swimming due to chemicals in the pool. Some kids with tics can tolerate pools, and others with tics cannot.The levels and types of chemicals can also vary and cause different reactions, and length of time in the pool also makes a difference.

Some kids find wearing eye googles helps. Limiting time, washing thoroughly after swimming. Others have to avoid it. If your son was able to handle swimming previously then in addition to chemical exposures in the pool, his immune system could be extra sensitive due to the flu shot (note I say "could be").

Sometimes it's a matter of overload from food reactions, other types of exposures, being anxious etc, possibly an underlying infection--and the pool chemicals tipped the scales.

Does your son usually swim in enclosed pools (if that is what it was?) for the same length of time without any reactions?

Hi Sheila,

Yes i read somewhere that the chemicals in pools can have an adverse affect. The odd thing is, he goes to this same swim class all year round, without any noticeable effect. Possibly the tics are there but at a small level and we didn't notice them. It is a enclosed pool at YMCA and he spends the same amount of time as he usually does. We are so puzzled. Why were we able to control it for 1.5 years, but not now?

Thanks again for your advice. Will keep you posted on his progress.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!

My son started with eye blinking three years at row at same time august/september like your son. First two year tics diseapear at end of Oktober/November but this year he develop more tics like neck/head jerking, It looks like he will develop Tourrete syndrom. One Thing more similar to your son is that my son started to swim class late august and tics are worse. Your observation about august/september is very interested.

AUG/september:

Starting at school

Eating more fruits, tomatoes etc

New harwest for bred baking

Pollen?

Hi Salm,

Yes it seems very similar to my son. Except he hasn't develop more tics, just the eye blinking for now. Because it is only this time of year, we are looking for anything that could trigger it. He does nothing different than the rest of they year, except start school. We are thinking it might be pollen allergy of some kind and his immune system is weak because of flu shot every year.

Can you get out of the flu shots next time, if you think they might be causing a problem? At least it's worth trying once to see if it makes a difference. (Over here, I don't think they're given to schoolchildren as a standard thing, only old people and people with existing illnesses. So it doesn't seem that it'd be dangerous for him not to have it.)

Hi Wombat140,

tTat is exactly the thought process my wife and I are leaning towards. Do not get the FLU shot next year. I never had it and was able to avoid FLU all my life.

Just another thought I had. He had is TDAP shot in July. Possible both shots,a few months apart ,aided in his immune system being weak.

Thanks for your thoughts. Much appreciate it.