ACN Latitudes Forums

Just received a prescription for doryx for dd (11). How bad is the sun sensitivity? Does sunscreen need to be applied to the entire body- every time she goes out? I'm so concerned I won't always be able to monitor It, and she'll go outside unprotected. I read horror stories of sun blistering on doxy. Is it the same for doryx?

I believe it's the same med. Dd was on doxy last summer, while she was in an indoor art camp we did go to the pool and even the beach and she was fine. Then all of a sudden she burned really badly despite tons of sunscreen and couldn't go into any sun after that. Sunscreen did not seem to make any difference. Sorry to tell you the best thing is to avoid the sun as much as possible.

I believe they both have the same risk in regards to sun.

My husband is mostly irish so my daughter is very pale. She started doryx in late spring last year and burned so quickly that I actually held off treatment until September so that she could do swimteam. However we are now back on Doxy for lyme so I provided her a face moisturizer with sunscreen that's easy to apply. I also carry a spray sunscreen since she's on spring sports and outside a lot. If she braids her hair and has a part, even the scalp gets burned. She's really sensitive to sun on doxy and doryx.

My son has a tanner complexion so doesn't burn quite as quickly. I don't worry if he's out for 1/2 hour or so but anything longer in the sunshine and he needs sunscreen. If your daughter is doing any type of sports or camps I would definitely cover her with sunscreen.

Is your son on doxy right now also?

I believe they both have the same risk in regards to sun.

My husband is mostly irish so my daughter is very pale. She started doryx in late spring last year and burned so quickly that I actually held off treatment until September so that she could do swimteam. However we are now back on Doxy for lyme so I provided her a face moisturizer with sunscreen that's easy to apply. I also carry a spray sunscreen since she's on spring sports and outside a lot. If she braids her hair and has a part, even the scalp gets burned. She's really sensitive to sun on doxy and doryx.

My son has a tanner complexion so doesn't burn quite as quickly. I don't worry if he's out for 1/2 hour or so but anything longer in the sunshine and he needs sunscreen. If your daughter is doing any type of sports or camps I would definitely cover her with sunscreen.

Is there anyone who's child hasn't had a reaction to sun while on doxy or doryx?

I took doxy for 3 months with no issues a while back, but it was in the winter months. No problems while driving and I don't use sunscreen - unless outside in full sun.

This is worrying me a little. DS has taken almost 30 days of doxy but he's got at least another 30 to go. He plays baseball, and is on a swim and tennis teams. I may have to suspend the doxy after the next 30 days. I noticed he has gotten quite a few freckles on his nose and this is very new. He's never had freckles before. It's not even been sunny yet, here in MI.

• 1 month later...

My dd has been taking the doryx 150mg tablets for 3 weeks now. She is having difficulty swallowing them. She doesn't have problems with her other meds, just this one. It is shaped like a little rectangular lego. I tried cutting them in 1/2 and 1/3, but makes it worse because of the jagged edges. I'm thinking of crushing them and placing in empty capsule shells- need to check with LLMD. She's starting to refuse them so I need to move fast. Anyone else have difficulty with the doryx tablets and have suggestions?

Edited by philamom

Is doryx different than doxy? DS's generic doxy is a capsule. I think capsules are easier to swallow. We took DS off doxy for the summer. We switched to biaxin. He's also on augmentin and he's doing really well. I'd ask a pharmacist about crushing doryx. They know a lo more about meds than docs do.

It's a gentler form of doxy- easy on the stomach. I was told by our LLMD to be certain its not the generic form of doryx. It doesn't come in capsule. I wonder if I could rub something on it like butter.

Thx- I'll ask the pharmacist.

Is doryx different than doxy? DS's generic doxy is a capsule. I think capsules are easier to swallow. We took DS off doxy for the summer. We switched to biaxin. He's also on augmentin and he's doing really well. I'd ask a pharmacist about crushing doryx. They know a lo more about meds than docs do.

Doryx, brand name, is a delayed release capsule OR tablet form of doxycycline. http://www.drugs.com/cdi/doryx-delayed-release-capsules.html and tablets: http://www.drugs.com/cdi/doryx-delayed-release-tablets.html. Crushing brand name doryx tablets would affect their delay release capacity. However, they can safely be "broken up" : http://www.drugs.com/dosage/doryx.html

"Sprinkling the tablet over applesauce

DORYX Tablets may also be administered by carefully breaking up the tablet and sprinkling the tablet contents (delayed-release pellets) on a spoonful of applesauce. The delayed-release pellets must not be crushed or damaged when breaking up the tablet. Any loss of pellets in the transfer would prevent using the dose. The applesauce/DORYX mixture should be swallowed immediately without chewing and may be followed by a glass of water if desired "

On a side note there are patient assistance cards and coupons for brand name Dorxy if this helps anyone: http://www.patientassistance.com/B2115-doryx.html and https://www.activatethecard.com/doryx6297/. Every little bit helps.

Doxycycline tablets can be crushed, but it is discouraged since it can be harsh on the esophageal lining: http://www.drugs.com/answers/can-doxycycline-hyclate-be-crushed-and-then-added-270211.html. You can crush them and put them in a capsule.

Edited by Mayzoo

I believe there is now a generic Doryx - released about 3 months(?) ago when the Doryx patent protection expired.

It is much easier on the stomache than regular Doxy, but the sun sensitivity is the same.

Years ago I had sun sensitivity when I was on minocycline. What I experienced was not just a few more freckles than usuall, or even burning easier - its like you are allergic to the sun. Your skin tingles - with even a tiny bit of exposure. I did not find sunscreen helpful - I wore long sleeves and pulled them over my hands if in direct sunlight.

I am not fair or dark, but I'm Irish with some spanish blood in there. I tan. But on the mino - I would turn bright red in MINUTES - 5-10 minutes. And it felt "tingly"- within seconds of being in the sun.

I don't know the percentage of people that have this reaction - but I do believe it is a fairly common side effect, not a rare one.

here is link to a page with brief overview of names and strengths of the generic Doryx. The regular Doryx out of pocket for us was over $100 for 30 days, and would have been well over $1000 without insurance - just to give you an idea.

http://acne.emedtv.com/doryx/generic-doryx.html

Here is a another link to cost and coupons for Doryx (or the generic) at a number of nationwide pharmacies:

http://www.goodrx.com/doryx

We use the patient savings card and pay 25 month. I was told by our LLMD to be certain not to get the generic brand. He wrote that on the RX.

I purchased some empty veg capsule shells (size 0) at Whole foods, but I need to find a larger size. Question- do these veg capsules dissolve immediately, as I know its important the doryx be taken while eating food.

Edited by philamom