ACN Latitudes Forums

Antibiotics for OCD

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dr. T recently changed my son's antibiotic to doxycycline to treat mycoplasma. I have been researching this drug and found this post. It made me think of this thread.

The post is about using doxycycline to treat depression (or could we substitute the word "OCD" for the word "depression").

http://www.dr-bob.org/babble/20090104/msgs/872561.html

Dr. T recently changed my son's antibiotic to doxycycline to treat mycoplasma. I have been researching this drug and found this post. It made me think of this thread.

The post is about using doxycycline to treat depression (or could we substitute the word "OCD" for the word "depression").

That IS interesting. We've talked here on the forum about a class of abx being anti-inflammatory before. I think it's the cephalasporins? Anybody else remember the thread? I think I have a paper on that as well in my "library." I'll try to find an active, working link.

Good luck with the doxy, C! Let us know how it goes!

That IS interesting. We've talked here on the forum about a class of abx being anti-inflammatory before. I think it's the cephalasporins? Anybody else remember the thread? I think I have a paper on that as well in my "library." I'll try to find an active, working link.

Good luck with the doxy, C! Let us know how it goes!

Hi cab40,

My son had previously tested negative for mycoplasma but recently tested positive. Dr. T ordered the tests and the doxycycline. My son has no symptoms of mycoplasma, but he also had no symptoms of strep (only high titers). My son's only symptom of any illness seems to be OCD. It seems to be his body's way of telling him he is ill.

Dr. T is VERY busy to say the least. It is almost impossible to get any response from him unless it is an emergency. If you want to talk with him, you will have to make a phone consult. He charges about $100/15 min., so obviously you don't call too often. And I try to be very organized (always have my son's labs right in front of me). It keeps the calls shorter and therefore saves me money.

Labwork is always an ordeal with him as well because he has such little office help. So basically when he orders tests for me, I always have the hospital send a copy to my son's primary care physician. I then go pick them up myself. I then scan the labs and e-mail them to him, so he has them in his computer and doesn't have to chase a fax. I usually re-email recent labs just before a phone consult as well as include a brief summary of the questions I have and the medications my son's been on. This as well helps keep the calls short and focused.

You many not want to deal with him because of these oddities. But the distance is not a problem. He is very, very comfortable (and so am I) with phone consults. He is very personable and you will feel in many ways as if he is right there. I live three hours from him.

Hi cab40,

My son had previously tested negative for mycoplasma but recently tested positive. Dr. T ordered the tests and the doxycycline. My son has no symptoms of mycoplasma, but he also had no symptoms of strep (only high titers). My son's only symptom of any illness seems to be OCD. It seems to be his body's way of telling him he is ill.

Edited by cab40