ACN Latitudes Forums

inositol for ocd

Guest alan

Guest searching

I have a stupid question. I have Inostol in 500 mg tablets. How many 500 mg tablets make up 1 gram. He's says to take 18 grams a day and I'd like to know how many tablets I should take.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

To the fella who's looking at getting an increased quantity of inositol this web site (http://www.1fast400.com/?products_id=1506) inositol at $31.99 per 1000g. that works out at about 55 days worth @ 18g per day. I think it's important to remember that in the test they built up to 18g per day.

Apparently it takes about 3-4 weeks to kick in!

Good luck - Happy Days

J - uk

:)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I am new to this Board. (I was doing a search on o.c.d. - because I have it.)

I have tried inositol for my o.c.d.

First, I want to mention that in some people there may be some weight gain. I know, for myself, I had abdominal cramps from it.

As far as it working for o.c.d. It did for me. Even better than Zoloft or Luvox. It actually made me "unable to go to that o.c.d. place in my brain". In other words, there were instances where I couldn't even "force" myself to obsess while on inositol. It wouldn't allow me to obsess.

But because of the abdominal cramps I was forced to get off of it.

I do have to say though, that the brand you use has a lot of to with its effectiveness. Because of how good inositol worked on me, I wanted to stay on it, so I tried different brands, thinking one may not give me abdominal cramps. What I found out is that the brands made with "fillers" (particularly inositol in hard tablet form) did not work as good, and in fact, hardly worked at all. I would suggest getting inositol in its "crytallized" or powdered version only. I used Twinlab (500 mg. in soft capsule powder) You have to give inositol a few weeks to work.

• 2 years later...

hello Vanessa

both are excellent and can be taken together.

Inositol is in the B group of vitamins . Here is some more about it: Inositol Information

Omega 3 essential fatty acids, as found in fish oil and flaxseed oils etc, are good for a number of processes in our bodies and can be taken with the Inositol. there is a lot of evidence that omega 3 EFAs are vital for optimum neurological functioning.

usually, in OCD, serotonin neurotransmittor levels are deficient.

supplements can help to increase serotonin levels and also to optimize its actions, and so help reduce OCD symptoms

hope that helps a bit

Cheri

• 1 year later...

Inositol just 35 mg

I just wanted to say that i have tried inositol a few times firstly i wouldnt advise anybody to try the 18 grams that is on most web sites, i think that is a crazy amount. For me even 250 mg got me aggitated. I worked it down and am still experiementing a little, but right now 35 mg seems to offer me a gentle soothing feeling.

As i said i tried it once before but stopped because i felt aggitated, it wasnt untill some body gave me some vitamins with inositol in that i decided to try it again. This time at a low dose it seems to have a good effect.

I have also been looking at food allergies lately, any information on regular types of food that can cause anxiety, would be greatly appriciated.

CBT is great from my experience, i really enjoyed the book CBT for dummies and reccomended it to my mother and brother who also suffer from ocd/anxiety, they found it useful to.

I just wonder if there is an underlying problem to anxiety/ocd for some people and that its not all just learnt.

My son's OCD is triggered by Dairy big time! Have you tried eliminating dairy for a couple of days to notice if any changes take place?

Yes i dont take dairy anyway, as it irritates my intestines, i also cut potatoe, i know strange but it has the same effect.

I am looking at wheat now.

Did your son have a allergy test?

Im really curious about food allgeries right now and that maybe there is a link with anxiety, i know it can be helpped with CBT and counselling, but i think that the anxiety can maybe, be caused by an allergy its just an idea, its hard to allways tell but i remeber having some cows milk recently after a long time of being on soy and i felt really aggitated, like inside it felt like my body was iching and i went in to such a bad mood.

I know i always had excessive gas and often feel really sluggish even though am physically fit and try to get ample sleep.

When i was younger i would get run down all the time, getting colds and once shingles, i even had foot and mouth once if i remeber correctly, funny eh! Any way if any one has any ideas?

• 1 month later...
Our Family keeps dairy out of the house as this is a big OCD trigger in our family and we also find GREAT benefit with

Omega 3-6-9.

I just recently took dairy out of my diet again. I will have to wait and see if I notice a difference.

I am a 30 year old male who has suffered greatly with OCD/Anxiety for as long as I can remember. I would love to try some of the things all of you have listed to help with OCD. I was thinking of trying inositol and some of the things on Bonnie's page. I wasn't sure what to try so I emailed Bonnie and haven't heard back. Does anyone know if she is still active in answering emails? I see that Chemar posted a few years ago about emailing Bonnie if you have questions.

I would really like to try a few of these supplements instead of getting back on meds with horrible side effects. Thanks for your help.

not sure if Bonnie may be away for the summer etc

my son uses Inositol with great success. He takes around 12 gm daily(Jarrow powder bought at iherb.com for much less!!) along with the P-5-P form of vit B6 (helps the inositol work better) Only short term when OCD is flaring tho!! Other times 500-1000mg a day

Methionine (or the samE form) is also helpful. He takes 500mg a day of that with the inositol if OCD waxing severely and ups the inositol to 14-16gm at those times

• 1 year later...

my apologies for bringing up an old thread.

i am a male in my late 20s and have had OCD most of my life. nearly everyone in my extended family has OCD (mother's side) and takes some type of SSRI for it. i am bit more stubborn and/or don't want to swallow my pride or an SSRI, so i have been researching the alternative natural way to reduce the OCD. this is one of many useful threads i have come across in regards to inositol.

i have read a few cases where people were taking as little as 1.5-2g a day in the pill form and seeing results. i don't know if these people were experiencing a placebo effect, but i recently started taking the 1.5-2g daily to see the results. it has only been one week, so i do not have any results. one thing i thought was interesting was that the previous page had a doctor's questionnaire and he indicated the brain didn't recognize inositol until 12g was taken in. does anyone know if this is true, or if smaller amounts of the inositol can help OCD?

really i'd just like to get more information on how much inositol really works. it seems like there is very little evidence supporting what dosage works and doesn't work. 18g just seems like a whole lot to take on a daily basis and the idea, even coming from a doctor, that OCD patients need to take precisely 18g a day and no more/less seems like a shortcoming to me. i feel like there has to be a greater variance of dosage depending on the extremity of the disorder in a particular case, just like there would be a variance on a dosage of an SSRI for the same reason.

thanks for any input.

Edited by jellyz

Hi

The dose really depends on the individual.

500mg - 1 gm is usually enough for regular "maintenance" , and going up for when OCD is flaring

I have heard never to do the higher dose for more than 6 weeks at a time

also, if you are already on an SSRI you want to be very careful as inositol added can spike serotonin...not a good thing either!

if you get agitated from a low dose, that may be what is happening

there are foods rich in inositol. like cantaloupe and fresh limes, amongst others, so you may find more benefit from them.