ACN Latitudes Forums

Alpha Lipoic Acid and it's Benefits

Alpha Lipoic Acid

In 1999 we looked at a relatively new antioxidant supplement called alpha-lipoic acid (ALA) and concluded that it might one day prove to be very important, but that it was too early to recommend it. Since then more studies on it have been done. Is the evidence today strong enough to support its use?

The body needs ALA to produce energy. It plays a crucial role in the mitochondria, the energy-producing structures in cells. The body actually makes enough ALA for these basic metabolic functions. This compound acts as an antioxidant, however, only when there is an excess of it and it is in the "free" state in the cells. But there is little free ALA circulating in your body, unless you consume supplements or get it injected. Foods contain only tiny amounts of it. What makes ALA special as an antioxidant is its versatility—it helps deactivate an unusually wide array of cell-damaging free radicals in many bodily systems.

In particular, ALA helps protect the mitochondria and the genetic material, DNA. As we age, mitochondrial function is impaired, and it’s theorized that this may be an important contributor to some of the adverse effects of aging. ALA also works closely with vitamin C and E and some other antioxidants, "recycling" them and thus making them much more effective.

ALA is being studied in animals and in humans as a preventive and/or treatment for many age-related diseases. These range from heart disease and stroke to diabetes and Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s disease, as well as declines in energy, muscle strength, brain function, and immunity. It is also being studied for HIV disease and multiple sclerosis. In Germany, in particular, it is already prescribed to treat long-term complications of diabetes, such as nerve damage, thought to result in part from free-radical damage; there is also evidence that it can help decrease insulin resistance and thus help control blood sugar. Many studies have yielded promising results; others are still underway.

Alpha Lipoic Acid Benefits

Alpha Lipoic Acid has many benefits, and all types of people will benefit from taking ALA. ALA will be even more beneficial for individuals with some of the following conditions:

Diabetes or higher than normal blood sugar levels

Have high cholesterol levels

Are affected by cataracts (in early stages)

Cardiovascular problems such as hardening of arteries

There is a long list of benefits of Alpha Lipoic Acid, some have even gone as far to call it the "ideal antioxidant". Below are some benefits of taking alpha lipoic acid.

Alpha lipoic acid helps make vitamin C and E work better

ALA is a powerful antioxidant that fights free radicals

It's easily absorbed either from food eaten or from supplements

Alpha lipoic acid helps increase glutathione which helps with detoxification

It helps protect the lens and retina of your eyes from degeneration, and also helps alleviate glaucoma

Alpha lipoic acid is used to treat and detox the liver

Obviously, the 2 biggest benefits from supplementing Alpha lipoic acid is its powerful antioxidant properties, and its ability to help increase Glutathione levels which plays a big role in dissolving toxic substances in the liver.

• 5 months later...

Alpha Lipoic Acid, manufactered in Europe, is a disulfide molecule (containing two thiol groups). A thiol (or -SH) consists of a sulfur and a hydrogen atom. This unique antioxidant is both lipid and water soluble, a potent promoter of glutathione and an important co-factor in energy metabolism. Biotin is an essential cofactor of intracellular carboxylase enymes and is important for energy production and lipid metabolism.

• 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Alpha Lipoic Acid is an antioxidant, and is widely used in prevention of various diseases. Its main function is to increase production of glutathione, which helps dissolve toxic substances in the liver. An antioxidant helps neutralize free radicals in our bodies and protects our cells from damage. A free radical is an unstable molecule that tries to steal electrons from other molecules, thus causing damage. Smoking, pollution, car exhaust, fried foods are some sources of free radicals.

Alpha lipoic acid can be found in foods such as meats, and veggies (ie. spinach). Alpha lipoic acid is also easily absorbed into the blood stream, and it can also cross the blood brain barrier

Alpha Lipoic Acid Benefits

Alpha Lipoic Acid has many benefits, and all types of people will benefit from taking Alpha Lipoic Acid. Alpha Lipoic Acid will be even more beneficial for individuals with some of the following conditions:

Diabetes or higher than normal blood sugar levels

Have high cholesterol levels

Are affected by cataracts (in early stages)

Cardiovascular problems such as hardening of arteries

• 1 year later...
I would be very careful with alpha lipoic acid. It can move mercury out of tissues and it will settle in another part of the body, even in the brain!

ipoic acid is an organic compound, one enantiomer of which is an essential cofactor for many enzyme complexes.

Hello,

I seem to be the only one on the net with a negative reaction to ALA.

I kept trying to take 300mg ALA tablets from MRM, but it always came out whole undigested as if untouched.

I took one yesterday night (and it's the only thing I've taken in a long while) and this morning while I was lightly exercising I went white and felt dizzy with nausea. I stopped my work-out, went to bed for a rest thinking I might be starting a stomach flu or something. But when I woke up, an hour and half later, the pill came out whole again, this time burning my rectum along the way. Once it was out of my system I started to feel better instantly.

Does anyone know what this means? Is this a sort of allergy? Is it the MRM lab that should'nt be trusted for some reason?

I will talk to a doctor about this, but I'm pretty sure all he will come up with is "beats me, but stop taking it..."

Hello,

I seem to be the only one on the net with a negative reaction to ALA.

I kept trying to take 300mg ALA tablets from MRM, but it always came out whole undigested as if untouched.

I took one yesterday night (and it's the only thing I've taken in a long while) and this morning while I was lightly exercising I went white and felt dizzy with nausea. I stopped my work-out, went to bed for a rest thinking I might be starting a stomach flu or something. But when I woke up, an hour and half later, the pill came out whole again, this time burning my rectum along the way. Once it was out of my system I started to feel better instantly.

Does anyone know what this means? Is this a sort of allergy? Is it the MRM lab that should'nt be trusted for some reason?

I will talk to a doctor about this, but I'm pretty sure all he will come up with is "beats me, but stop taking it..."

Unless you're having this problem with other pills, it sounds to me like your body is sensitive or allergic to whatever coating is on the pill or capsule. I say that because it is coming out whole. If it got digested and you had the reaction, then perhaps it would be the ALA or any additive. But, since it is coming out whole and you are having the problem, it sounds to me more like it is not the ALA itself. You might consider trying another brand. Certainly, some brands are better than others. I have never heard of MRM, so cannot comment on them in any way. But, some people are just sensitive to certain ingredients/additives, and if you are sensitive to what they are using, and another brand doesn't use it, that wouldn't necessarily say much about MRM, it may simply be a bad match for your body. I am pretty sensitive to additives, and have seen myself do very well with some brands, and then other brands nothing was good for me.

Michael