ACN Latitudes Forums

Coxsackie Virus

kim

Wondering if anyone thinks that their child has had this virus? The sore throat, and pink eye symptoms were what originally caught my attention, but one of the hallmark symptoms of one strain looks like blisters on the palms, soles of feet and mouth. This article mentions Hemorrhagic conjunctivitis, but other articles just say pink eye. Some reseach by M Cunningham titled "Cytotoxic and viral neutralizing antibodies crossreact with streptococcal M protein, enteroviruses, and human cardiac myosin" originally led me to this. http://www.pnas.org/content/89/4/1320.abstract

excerpt from that abstract

The development of autoimmunity in certain instances is related to infectious agents. In this report, cytotoxic monoclonal antibodies (mAbs) that recognize epitopes on both enteroviruses and the bacterium Streptococcus pyogenes are described. Murine anti-streptococcal mAbs that were crossreactive with streptococcal M protein, human cardiac myosin, and other alpha-helical coiled-coil molecules were found to neutralize coxsackieviruses B3 and B4 or poliovirus type 1.

http://kidshealth.org/parent/infections/ba.../coxsackie.html

In most cases, coxsackieviruses cause mild flu-like symptoms and go away without treatment. But in some cases, they can lead to more serious infections.

Signs and Symptoms

Coxsackievirus can produce a wide variety of symptoms. About half of all kids infected with coxsackievirus have no symptoms. Others suddenly develop high fever, headache, and muscle aches, and some also develop a sore throat, abdominal discomfort, or nausea. A child with a coxsackievirus infection may simply feel hot but have no other symptoms. In most kids, the fever lasts about 3 days, then disappears.

Coxsackieviruses can also cause several different symptoms that affect different body parts, including:

Hand, foot, and mouth disease, a type of coxsackievirus syndrome, causes painful red blisters in the throat and on the tongue, gums, hard palate, inside of the cheeks, and the palms of hands and soles of the feet.

Herpangina, an infection of the throat which causes red-ringed blisters and ulcers on the tonsils and soft palate, the fleshy back portion of the roof of the mouth.

Hemorrhagic conjunctivitis, an infection that affects the whites of the eyes. Hemorrhagic conjunctivitis usually begins as eye pain, followed quickly by red, watery eyes with swelling, light sensitivity, and blurred vision.

Citygirl,

Can Foot and mouth disease trigger PANDAS or OCD? Both my dd's got foot & mouth apparently (sort of diagnosed over the phone from nurse on call). My almost 3 yr old dd1 has been doing this hopping in her seat before starting her one TV show and sort of eye blinking thing, not sure if her eyes are itchy and bothering her from the virus (mine and husband's have been itchy these days too). She just got over a cold a few weeks ago, and shortly after shed showed above symptoms. Now she possibly has foot & mouth thing. She's so miserable - sores all over her mouth! I feel like her body's a wreck right now...

I just went to the Cunningham test result thread to try to find the answer to one of the endless questions that run through my head, and saw this post of yours. Check out the info here.

Wondering if anyone thinks that their child has had this virus? The sore throat, and pink eye symptoms were what originally caught my attention, but one of the hallmark symptoms of one strain looks like blisters on the palms, soles of feet and mouth. This article mentions Hemorrhagic conjunctivitis, but other articles just say pink eye. Some reseach by M Cunningham titled "Cytotoxic and viral neutralizing antibodies crossreact with streptococcal M protein, enteroviruses, and human cardiac myosin" originally led me to this. http://www.pnas.org/content/89/4/1320.abstract

excerpt from that abstract

The development of autoimmunity in certain instances is related to infectious agents. In this report, cytotoxic monoclonal antibodies (mAbs) that recognize epitopes on both enteroviruses and the bacterium Streptococcus pyogenes are described. Murine anti-streptococcal mAbs that were crossreactive with streptococcal M protein, human cardiac myosin, and other alpha-helical coiled-coil molecules were found to neutralize coxsackieviruses B3 and B4 or poliovirus type 1.

http://kidshealth.org/parent/infections/ba.../coxsackie.html

In most cases, coxsackieviruses cause mild flu-like symptoms and go away without treatment. But in some cases, they can lead to more serious infections.

Signs and Symptoms

Coxsackievirus can produce a wide variety of symptoms. About half of all kids infected with coxsackievirus have no symptoms. Others suddenly develop high fever, headache, and muscle aches, and some also develop a sore throat, abdominal discomfort, or nausea. A child with a coxsackievirus infection may simply feel hot but have no other symptoms. In most kids, the fever lasts about 3 days, then disappears.

Coxsackieviruses can also cause several different symptoms that affect different body parts, including:

Hand, foot, and mouth disease, a type of coxsackievirus syndrome, causes painful red blisters in the throat and on the tongue, gums, hard palate, inside of the cheeks, and the palms of hands and soles of the feet.

Herpangina, an infection of the throat which causes red-ringed blisters and ulcers on the tonsils and soft palate, the fleshy back portion of the roof of the mouth.

Hemorrhagic conjunctivitis, an infection that affects the whites of the eyes. Hemorrhagic conjunctivitis usually begins as eye pain, followed quickly by red, watery eyes with swelling, light sensitivity, and blurred vision.

Alex had coxsakievirus in kindergarten...two years prior to any PANDAS symptoms...he was also exposed to Hand, foot and mouth 2x in pre-school, but never developed it...

Citygirl,

I know you have been down the metal detox road and are familiar with sulfur issues. I wanted to leave these for you to read too. Pretty interesting.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11314973

Trace element distribution in heart tissue sections studied by nuclear microscopy is changed in Coxsackie virus B3 myocarditis in methyl mercury-exposed mice.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9152508...ogdbfrom=pubmed

Interacting nutritional and infectious etiologies of Keshan disease. Insights from coxsackie virus B-induced myocarditis in mice deficient in selenium or vitamin E.

Lisa,

Did your son have any symptom increase with the virus? Edit...opps, I see now that you said "two years prior"

Hmmm... my son had coxsackievirus when he was four. I was pregnant with my daughter at the time. About 3 months later he turned five and that's when the "switch flipped" with behavior, etc. The tics didn't start til the following year, but I've always said something changed when he turned five.

Ok - I'm fairly intelligent (or I'd like to think so <_< ), but having a hard time reading through the scientific lingo/terminologies. So I'm gathering that the recent HFMD is not an isolated coincidence. It looks like there may be some mercury and/or nutritional def at play?

Re: connection to strep - it looks like the quote excerpt is saying that the antibodies for strep should neutralize HFMD (I couldn't open the link). Is that right? Or am I not reading it right? If so, since she got the HFMD, does that mean strep was not in play in her system?

Sorry now it's getting a bit overwhelming for me to decipher.

Citygirl,

These are just random thoughts here.

So I'm gathering that the recent HFMD is not an isolated coincidence.
The only real significance would be if you see an increase in neurological problems, if we make the leap to these same antibodies affecting anything in the nervous system. The fact that your daughter has the virus in itself, really doesn't mean anything. Do keep an eye out for any cardiac symptoms, if you feel autoimmune issues are involved tho.

It looks like there may be some mercury and/or nutritional def at play?

The first study only suggests that Methyl mercury has "been shown to change Coxsackie virus type B3 (CB3) myocarditis in a direction compatible with the development of chronic disease." (cis) So if you have a problem with heavy metal excreation/sulfur/methyl pathways, this would be a condition that I would pay closer attention to, than a person without detox problems. The nutritional pathways "yes," I do believe that these and other deficiencies play a part in any disease state gone haywire.