ACN Latitudes Forums

TMG - can it make things worse at first?

Yesterday I started taking Tri-methylglycine (TMG). (I have something like "Tourettic OCD".) I'm taking 500mg first thing in the morning. Yesterday and today have been difficult. Twitchy tics/compulsions are worse than ever. I've been feeling sort of strung-out and on edge, and I can't cope with crises at all. Things being what they are, my days consist largely of crises, and usually I can more or less brush it off. Yesterday and today, the least thing has left me tearful, incoherent and wanting to spend the rest of the day hiding in a cupboard. I've taken TMG once before, but stopped after three days because things had been bad and I wasn't sure whether that was contributing.

I know that some treatments (both alternative and standard) can make things worse to start with, but if you persevere they start to help. Has anyone noticed this with TMG? I don't often find a supplement that has any effect on me at all. The odd thing is, I did take SAMe (which is supposed to be interchangeable with TMG) for a few weeks, and that did seem to help slightly and with none of the nasty side-effects. (I didn't get any more of that because we'd had such trouble getting iherb to send the first lot over. You can't buy SAMe over here without a prescription).

Many thanks

Wombat140

no experience with TMG here at all but it sounds to me like you are having a bad reaction to it...especially as you say this happened before when you took it

my son is very happy with the samE, tho I have heard that some young people can get irritable on it and may do better on methionine alone or even possibly N acetyl cysteine

my son takes the samE with some inositol

Thanks Chemar. I'm still taking the stuff. Things have quietened down a bit but the OCD is still immovable, if anything I can get away with slightly less than usual. I'll probably give it up as soon as I've decided what to try next.

I may have to try and get some more SAMe. The trouble wasn't really iherb's fault so much as the courier's (DHL), although iherb gave precisely no help in sorting out the problem. Their e-mail enquiries line seems to be staffed by a computer program - whatever you ask, it says it can't understand and asks you to ring them, long distance.

Anyone else tried TMG?