ACN Latitudes Forums

need more info to research PANDAS natural remedies

Many PANDAS threads with idea's for natural remedies here:

http://www.ch3nutrigenomics.com/phpBB2/welcome.html

Dr. Nancy Mullan treats PANDAS kids based on concepts from this protocol

http://conference.autismone.org/abstracts.cfm?a1year=2010

An Overview and Clarification of the Dr. Amy Yasko Protocol

This presentation highlights some of the important interventions in the treatment of autism spectrum disorder and other chronic immunologic, neurologic, metabolic, or gastrointestinal dysfunctions that can be made with the help of genetic and biochemical testing. It is not intended to be a comprehensive review of Dr. Yasko's method. Instead, it highlights those areas that are critical for the success of her method and defines points of similarity to and divergence from other ASD treatments. It demonstrates the competence of Yasko's method for promoting the development of function and language, and for inducing the excretion of toxic materials without problematic pharmaceuticals, frequent blood draws, or other even more invasive and stressful treatments.

Nancy Mullan, MD

received her undergraduate degree from the University of Pennsylvania and an MD from Tufts University. She completed an internship and residency in psychiatry and a fellowship in child psychiatry at the University of Chicago Hospitals and Clinics. While there she studied at the Chicago Institute for Psychoanalysis and taught at the Psychosomatic and Psychiatric Institute for Research and Training at Michael Reese Hospital. In Los Angeles, Dr. Mullan joined the medical staff at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center and taught at both UCLA and USC Schools of Medicine. She earned psychoanalytic certification from the Psychoanalytic Center of California. Currently, Dr. Mullan is practicing nutritional medicine and psychiatry in Burbank, California, treating children on the autism spectrum and adults with neurologic, immunologic, metabolic and/or gastroenterologic dysfunction that might otherwise be thought of as psychiatric illness.

Hi May--We've heard from many families who have found that a range of approaches that support immune function were helpful when used as an integrative therapy for PANDAS. (Am not suggesting we have information on their use in the case of a PANDAS crisis without standard therapy for strep.)

This can include avoidance of aggravating substances (whether in the environment or through food or medications they are sensitive to), or the addition of something they may need more of, for example select nutrients. These families also had used antibiotics, if not other PANDAS therapies, to address the strep infection. Specialized allergy treatment can also be beneficial.

Our book Natural Treatments for Tics and Tourettes outlines many of the methods being used by families and physicians to treat tic disorders and OCD without standard medication.

It's important that PANDAS parents look at a number of factors to find out why their child may be having an increase in tics or OCD behaviors at any given time. Sometimes they may be unaware of allergens that are aggravating the nervous system or weakening the immune system, making symptoms worse than they might otherwise be or making someone more susceptible to infection.

We have information on our website on identifying triggers for TS that some PANDAS parents have found useful to consider. Letters from families on tics and related behaviors are also linked below. Each case, of course, can be different so there's not a one size fits all answer. But that doesn't mean there aren't answers to be found.

http://www.latitudes.org/articles/finding_triggers.htm

http://www.latitudes.org/articles/letters_...ts_families.htm

I hope you find what you are searching for. Best wishes, Sheila

Hi

my son does not have PANDAS but we do believe there is likely a PITAND component associated with his genetic Tourette Syndrome/OCD, as he did test + for Epstein Barr Virus (tho no mono) and also has Crohn's disease

however, a lot of the natural protocol that we follow for him may be helpful too in PANDAS as related to the anti-inflammatory diet and supplements he takes, as well as the natural antibiotics

I have a link in my signature that details the natural treatments we have followed, and updated it earlier this year with his current protocol

I am in the middle of a busy work project right now so will try to update here later, but if you do a search on this forum for curcumin and also for anti inflammatory diet, you should get some recent threads on the subject coming up

hope that helps a bit and I do also want to highly recommend Sheila's book as it is an excellent reference! :)

I know that many autism parents use Olive Leaf Extract 3 times a day successfully for pandas. Also, Curcumin can be quite anti-inflammatory. Just some ideas. I did notice a difference with OLE and I may be going back to it soon as the zithro has some limitations.

Stephanie

lol yes dut posted about the whipworms & crohn's on the TS forum and my son's reaction was one to behold :(

http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=7907

no way no how someone with his OCD "finickitiness" is gonna eat worms!!

he really does have the crohn's under control with careful diet and the supps, but I did read that article with interest as it makes sense to me

we are so busy "sanitizing" ourselves and our environment that I do think we open ourselves up for some diseases because of it

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...