ACN Latitudes Forums

Natural treatments for PANDAS

jstone

A doctor once told me that gargling with rock salt (is that what it's called, the natural kind?) and water kills the strep. But I don't see what the need for a "natural" remedy is. Isn't penicillin naturally derived? I wouldn't play around with strep. I've had problems with it for years because I didn't treat a strep throat which turned into rheumatic fever, glomerularnephritis, PANDAS etc. Take antibiotics.

we have had what I believe to be good success in working with an integrative MD who uses homeopathy in his treatment.

you may want to do some research into a strep nosode as an alternative treatment for strep.

I had previously(to pandas) used homeopathy for myself and my children in treating regular, childhood stuff. for something like strep or pandas, I definitely think it is a good idea to work with a professional.

good luck.

Stephen Buhner's :) book Herbal Antibiotics: Natural alternatives for treating drug-resistant bacteria lists several different formulations, depending on the type of strep infection involved (throat, topical necrotizing fasciitis, intestinal, meningitis, glomerulonephritis). Some of the herbs he uses include: cryptolepis, sida actua, alchornea, rhodiola, eleuthero, juniper, echinacea, berberine, isatis, knotweed, astragalus - a lot of things that he uses for the treatment of lyme/bartonella.

We used 2 years of multiple, combination abx along with herbals to treat DD's lyme/bartonella infections. Only now are we trying to keep them from relapsing using exclusively herbal protocols. Buhner says that using herbals instead of/along with antibiotic therapy decreases the chance of resistance because herbs contain many different antibacterial substances, not only one or two. Several of the herbs he uses can act as proton pump inhibitors, reducing resistance in this way. Some of his herbs help to boost a compromised immune system, and some act as anti-inflammatories.

If you are going to use a strictly herbal protocol, I would find a trained herbalist and have them read Buhner's information. If they think it will work, you could go from there. We are still working with our LLMD and a TCM trained naturopath. I wouldn't try this on my own.

It turns out that the Lyme (boriella bergdorferi bacteria) and Strep are neurotoxin bacterias. My daughter is neurotoxin sensitive/allergic/reactive call it what you want and contracted the LYME bacteria and has PANDA- L for LYME, but it is all the same thing, Lyme or Strep.

Our food these days from the grocery store also have neurotoxin in them, preservatives, additives, color additives are all neurotoxins as well as mercury, lead, and other bad stuff. You can find a list of neurotoxins in the food today, but basically if you read it and can not pronounce it, do not eat it. Neurotoxin sensitivity runs in families, it did in mine.

I cleaned up my daughters diet, cooking from scratch, fresh and mostly raw foods for her to reduce her her ingestable neurotoxin exposer. She went on minocycline, it crosses the blood brain barrier to fight the brain bacterial infection. We will be on antibiotics for three more months after her symptoms subside, to make sure her bacteria infection is at a low enough level for her immune system to keep it down. Her symptoms were worse before they got better as her immune systems fights the bacterial infection and she has to process out the bacterial neurotoxins through her liver, kidneys and lympathic system.

Start monitoring your neurotoxin daily exposer just like some monitor kids blood sugar levels and you will feel a lot better during your treatment!

I too am highly concerned about the neurotoxin overload. Besides corn being genetically modified they use a systemic pesticide called Imidacloprid. It is a neurotoxin and is a chemical that acts on the central nervous system. It belongs to the neonicotnoids and works thru the stomach. It is also an endocrine disrupter.This pesticide is made by Bayer in Germany but banned for use in Germany.

Think about all the "big gulps" consumed. Corn and HFCS is in everything.

My DS tested non allergic for corn but craved it. When I switched to organic corn craving went away. Also last November our city sprayed back yard fruit trees with this chemical. I wouldn't let them touch ours since our backyard oranges are the only ones that don't make my DS lips swell. Coincidence?

This is also the chemical that causes confusion in bees and may be responsible for collapsing bee hives. I have also spoken with a brain researcher who says they are studying the possibility that HFCS crosses the brain barrier different from sugar.

Psychology Today, last September had a great article explaining the pathways this toxin effects. I too have pulled out grandma's recipes. Most European and Mexico countries do not allow HFCS in any soda. Hmmmm