ACN Latitudes Forums

Some specifics needed on Rothman Center

If you get a psych consult there (Dr Murphy and her crew) they will certainly go over the long list of meds. Remember-- she is the go low & slow lady!

Risperdal also helped calm one of my children immensely, but I can understand if it did not work out for you- we had some serious side effects (very,very large of amount weight gain, but for that we did a risk vs benefit- the weight melted off after discontinuation almost 2 years later)

If you get a psych consult there (Dr Murphy and her crew) they will certainly go over the long list of meds. Remember-- she is the go low & slow lady!

Risperdal also helped calm one of my children immensely, but I can understand if it did not work out for you- we had some serious side effects (very,very large of amount weight gain, but for that we did a risk vs benefit- the weight melted off after discontinuation almost 2 years later)

In our case we had liver problems developing & prolactin elevation which can't be messed with. I wouldn't go down there without seeing Dr. Murphy. Our Dr. now wants to add it as just prn med. Our ds13 goes bonkers when he mentions this "b/c I CAN NOT have that!!"

In our case we had liver problems developing & prolactin elevation which can't be messed with. I wouldn't go down there without seeing Dr. Murphy. Our Dr. now wants to add it as just prn med. Our ds13 goes bonkers when he mentions this "b/c I CAN NOT have that now!!" No amount of explaining has done any good so far. Ugh!

Iowadawn,

Those side effects are definitely very serious and unfortunately not the only serious potential ones from anti-psychotics.

I am the first one to sing Risperdal's praises for my child- it toned her rages immensely, but this medication is not to be messed with!

I am really sorry your doctor there is not getting the point. I think heading down to Dr M is an excellent idea.

Hi Iowa

DS has had whatever he has since a sudden onset at 6 (with waxing andc waning). Always diagnosed as Tourettes. Now he is 16. He is now trying Risperdal(good results but I am looking for side effects) and Zoloft (no joy yet) and is also taking magnesium and zinc to slow down ticcing, and grapefruit seed extract, Candida Clear and probiotics (not simultaneously)to combat gut problems from taking antibiotics for a long time. The antibiotics stopped working and the IVIG was not successful. But the ERP therapy can make a dent at times.

PS Sorry for the Lynn2 post. My telephone thinks it has a separate account but I told it to share with my computer :)

Edited by lynn

Hi Iowa

DS has had whatever he has since a sudden onset at 6 (with waxing andc waning). Always diagnosed as Tourettes. Now he is 16. He is now trying Risperdal(good results but I am looking for side effects) and Zoloft (no joy yet) and is also taking magnesium and zinc to slow down ticcing, and grapefruit seed extract, Candida Clear and probiotics (not simultaneously)to combat gut problems from taking antibiotics for a long time. The antibiotics stopped working and the IVIG was not successful. But the ERP therapy can make a dent at times.

PS Sorry for the Lynn2 post. My telephone thinks it has a separate account but I told it to share with my computer :)

Thank you for this good and encouraging information. Weird/ atypical/fits no one's box for sure!

So, your entire family went? How does this family thing work? Curious how low & slow on the Zoloft. I don't think the docs here get "Low & Slow"! Thanks! Dawn

Hi Iowa

Thank you for this good and encouraging information. Weird/ atypical/fits no one's box for sure here!

So, your entire family went? How does this family thing work? Curious how low & slow on the Zoloft. I don't think the docs here get "Low & Slow"! Thanks! Dawn

Edited by Iowadawn

Yes, DH and I both managed to get time off and the school sent homework, which was part of DS' therapy. We all camped out at Ronald McD House. It had a very "moment out of time" feel to it, particularly since there was always food available in the kitchen and dinner was served every night so that we had no responsibilities other than, of course, confronting our various demons. We each got some takeaways--mine was not to be negotiated out of positions I took, DH's was to praise what he wanted to keep and ignore what he wanted to extinguish (basically we both needed to come into the center instead of one being too easy, the other too harsh--really the nation could benefit from this sort of therapy as well..never mind) DS began to learn that he could control his response to OCD thoughts and impulses. We all endured some intense meltdowns in a controlled setting. It was helpful but we still had quite a way to go afterwards.

For Zoloft we started at 25 mg and are now at 100 mg--but I'm thinking the higher dose is becoming unhelpful. Dr. appt today so we'll check. Risperdal we started at .25 mg and are now at .5.

Dr m told me she starts zoloft at 6.25, only a quarter of a pill. After our experiences with these meds, I was impressed by that!

Our current psych wanted to start at 25 and go to 50 after a week. I chickened out and never went up! my dd refused it soon enough soon enough anyways!

We stayed.at RMH also. My daughter and I went alone, but my husband joined us that last few days, which was important. If you can both go, much better ! A single sibling would be ok, probably, but they do not have much room there. I cannot say enough about that charity, the peopled who brought food and of course the Rothman Center!

Edited by PowPow